PhD in Anthropology - questions...

L

Hi everyone!

Until today, I was planning to do a PhD and become an anthropologist.

However, I'm wondering if a PhD is a good idea. I'm always at work as my MA is part-time. The work is repetitive and absolutely mind numbing so that my concentration is bad.

As a result, I'm always behind on my reading. Also, I've never been able to read a whole anthropology book; I usually read about one chapter. I get a general idea and find a mix of quotes for essays, and do well. When I do manage to concentrate, I find the subject fascinating.
So I ask anyone out there doing a PhD, do you honestly think I should apply to do an MRes next year or am I not serious minded enough? Do you read whole anthropology books on a weekly basis?

I seem to have left it very late anyway and the deadline for funding is in March. I'll never be able to approach a suitable supervisor in time, will I?

Sorry if my post seems a bit stupid; I am intelligent and a good student, but really finding it impossible to cope at the moment!

L

Hi there,
just come back here today, thanks for your answers! Dan B, when I travelled to London to investigate about PhDs, the uni said I have to do an MRes and progress to PhD status.
Anyway, I'm feeling much better today about the whole situation. I was overworked the other night and quite depressed. Now I've decided to apply anyway to do an MRes. If I get funding, great, if not I'll do an Mres part-time and do a PhD later on when I've had time to save money...
Mia, I was exaggerating, I read lots of books-ethnographies mostly- last year, and it didn't seem like hard work. It's just the very theoretical ones I am having trouble with this year as my workload has had to increase and I come home braindead 6 days a week...

Johannstein, you are being unfair in using quotes from my message to attack a discipline you dislike. All the anthropologists I know are highly knowlegeable people, all extremely well read. As for "striving for academic excellence", I explained in my post that this is a luxury I unfortunately cannot afford; and I am aware that this may prevent me from receiving funding.

L

Hi Mia,
that's what I thought but the professor I saw said I'd need to do a MRes in which I would learn how to research and put together a research project for the following year. Then I would need at least 3 years for the PhD. Could it be because my application is not strong enough (my first degree was in an unrelated subject, and the MA in social anthropology is a conversion one)?