PhD in Brum, how is it?

R

If you're doing a PhD in Brum please tell me what its like, what the people ar elike, the facilities, and graduate opportunities etc.
If you;re doing a sciency PhD, what dept are you in and is your supervisor/research group good/nice?

Lots of questions I know, but thank you!
x

M

I'm looking to do one in Brum too - what is your area Roopa?

R

I want to do it in Neuroscience. Preferably clinical neuroscience. You?

Are you applying to start in 2007? I sent an email to the dept I want to be in, asking about their projects and the research I've done before etc.

B

I'm doing mine in the engineering department. I like it there but there are two big things though. Firstly I knew my supervisor, we used to work together a few years ago, and he'a a great guy who has provided me with references in the past. Second, I work from home 95% of the time.

However that said, I do like it there, I just haven't integrated myself very well thats all.

M

I'm looking at neuropharmacology, although from a non-clinical standpoint. I still haven't seen if they have any funding yet though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

H

Roopa, thought you were interested only in Oxbridge, or was that someone else?

R

Matthew are you wanting to start in 2007?

H- Yeah I still want to apply to oxford too, but I'm not applying to just them.

M

Yeah Roopa, applying to start in September this year. I hope.

R

I'm not so clued up about PhDs. Did you contact your potential supervisor or have you already sent in an application?

M

I contacted him, and he said he might know in February or March as to whether he'll have funding. However, there are other researchers in the department who I'm interested in, and I contacted the PG admissions tutor for the dept, who recommended making a prospective application.

G

I'm due to start a PhD at the metallurgy and materials dept in March.

I just got in touch with the department to show interest in the area of research. A week later they invited me for an interview, showed me around and took me for lunch. They've been great so far, and seemed generally interested in what I've done. My potential supervisor spent a good deal of time with me and at no point seemed rushed, which can only be a good sign.

Having said that, I know nothing about the Uni or the city really. Would also appreciate some feedback from people that know about the place.

PS. For those that remember, I was due to start at Manchester Uni after the potential supervisor had accepted me. However, the sponsors eventually changed their mind, so it all fell though. I was absolutely gutted, but hey, s**t happens.

B

They took you for lunch??! They never took me to lunch!

G

Took me for lunch and bought me a pint