PHD in ecology

C

Hello,

I'm looking into doing an MSc or MRes in conservation and biodiversity (I've already been accepted) but I'm wondering if going straight into a PHd is a better option. I want a career in wildlife conservation and/or some sort of ecological research. I'm just wondering if I'm likely to get one not having a particularly relevant background (I have a BSc in Biomedicine and a little conservation voluntary experience).

My plan was do the masters and then consider a Phd but if I could get onto a Phd without the masters that may be a better option.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area who may be able to offer some advice?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can offer,
Chris

A

I'd say do the masters first and gain loads of experience in different fields before doing the PhD. In ecology it's just as much about who you know and how many different things you can do as much as your qualifications, and doing a masters will help with this. And a massive help for a career in wildlife conservation is doing some volunteer work with the RSPB, local Wildlife Trust or something like that. It's looks great on CV and ecological-types love to see that you really are keen enough to volunteer. Ecology work tends to be more like a vocation than anything else :)

C

Hello Chris,
Conservation positions are very competitive as many people will carry out volunteer work, making jobs were you actually get paid highly sought after. Therefore a post graduate degree is a huge advantage. If you plan on doing a PhD after your masters anyway going straight into a PhD makes more sense. It might be difficult to do this given your background is not in ecology. However disease ecology is currently very popular in ecology and a growing conservation issue. Your degree might give you an advantage over other PhD candidates in some projects in this area, if that interests you. I'd keep applying for PhD's while staying enrolled for the Masters in case none come up. Many more people are presently applying for PhDs to ride out the downturn in the economy, so it can be difficult, just be persistent. It also might be an idea to see if any of members of staff at the university you are carrying your Masters out in work in areas that you may be interested in doing a PhD in. It will be easier to get a PhD off somebody who knows you after your Masters. Volunteer work as said is great. Don't be afraid to approach people offering volunteer work who are not advertising positions. Very few people will say no to a qualified skilled person carrying out work for free. It is a good idea to look at jobs you would be interested in doing in the future and seeing their requirements. If some skill or experience keeps coming up that you don't have then that's the best place to volunteer in.
Hope this helps.