PHD in Germany?

D

hey guys,

Originally I am from Moscow but grew up in Canada (Canadian bachelor) Recently I've come back to Moscow where is just about to finish my masters. After this summer, I am planning to start my PhD in Germany probably either in Economics or Business or Finance. Also EU is starting to highly integrate with the Russian economy Why Germany?. Well this country is the #1 trading partner with Russia currently...They say it's affordable. Ultimately, I’d prefer to work on a Russian market.

1) Does anyone know if it's practical to pursue a PhD through distance learning? (I am pretty much stuck with my current job now in Moscow)
2) What university would you advise? (I am for acquiring the real research and theoretical skills)
3) What field do you think should be chosen for the high pay-offs later on a Russian market?

My preferable teaching language is English.
I might get some spare time though for meeting with my distance classmates on some seminars during a year.

Thank you in advance...

Denis
Moscow

N

Take a look at http://www.daad.de which is the official webpage about studying in Germany and it is both in German and English.

As far as I know, the only university based on distance learning is the Fernuniversitaet Hagen (in Hagen, West Germany, close to Bochum, Dortmund...) and yes they offer PhDs in some areas as well although I don't know how many presencial hours they require.

M

There isn't a lot of teaching involved for PhDs at most German universities. Most simply require that you write the dissertation and come in for a talk about it at the end. A few also require you to take some courses, but mostly, it is just your own research that you are doing. And you could do that from Russia I guess. Depends on the supervisor as well, I would say. Any way, I think you have far more choices than the university in Hagen. English mostly isn't a problem; however, you'd better check with the respective university for that.

I would advise to find out what you would like to do research on and then find an appropriate supervisor.