PhD in Germany

M

Hi all

Was wondering if anybody here is or has done a PhD in Germany. I have been offered a PhD position there and am just unsure at the moment if Ill accept as from talking to the supervisor they work very long days and only 2 weeks holiday a year. Im not sure if I could commit myself to that. I love science and working in the lab but I also like to have some time to do other stuff. The research topic is in my area of interest however I have applied to other projects which are more attractive for me yet I am unsure of whether ill get awarded these. Any comments advice appreciated

S

you could not expect to make a great achievement without paying hard work.

S

I don't have first hand experience, but a friend went out there to do a post doc.

He pretty much said that they are expected to work very long hours

Although I will say his work ethic wasn't always the best previously so that may be something to do with it

But he did say they routinely work 12 hour days and work till late at night - but still possibly should take this with a pinch of salt

hope this helps- its probably not what you want to hear, another thing to consider is that a lot of people talk about working these hours but very few do -personally i think its a case of 'mines bigger than yours'

but if you've been told you'll work these hours, then you should accept the job expecting to do so