PhD in Munich, Germany

D

Does anyone know something about the PhD in Munich, Germany. (economics) in terms of quality, livig in a city, hardship and the likelihood of getting the scholarship.

I am Canadian. Do you think I'll be able to buy a car in Munich in credit? (making a monthly payment) Or should I be a German citizen for that?

Also how good should you be in econometrics?

Lastly, I am having trouble now searching for the student accomodation in Munich? There are not so many English web sites? Any ideas? And where would you suggest to live? I am really after the greeny place? (preferrably Fresh air with no highways nearby and a good greeny park nearby) The name of the district???

Thank you in advance...

Denis

M

Hi again,

depending on which university in Munich you intend to got to, quality may differ (also depending on the subject of your studies). However, both the Ludwig-Maximilian- and the Technical University are amongst the best universities in Germany. I don't know about the scholarship procedure, even though I would imagine it to be very competitive. I am also in economics, which department are you applying for? The way it usually works is that you work as a research or teaching assistant whilst doing the PhD. Usually, you aren't required to take many courses, it is mostly teaching and writing the dissertation. Could depend on the chair you are working for, though.

M

About the car: I have no clue whether you could lease a car in Germany being Canadian but generally I think it isn't very advisable to own a car in a city the size of Munich. Public transport is very good there. And I doubt you will have the money to even afford a car if you should get the scholarship because you will have to spend it all on rent.. (see my answer to your other post)...

Good luck with that one, too.

O

Dear PostGradForumTeam:

Could you please remove the 5 identical threads before everybody starts answering on another thread?

Thank You

D

Hey Marbeaux,

thank you for the answer. I primarily used to live in North America for a good while but come originally from Moscow. As for a car, I really wanna get a small one for travelling in Europe (Italy, Austria and ext)

What year are you in now? A PhD student also? What uni? German? What's your topic?

I am planning to study in Luxem...uni..

D

1) Is the budget of €2000/month sufficient for living and studying in Munich?
2)How stats skillful should you be in economics?
3) Most importantly, can you name a few GREENY districts (with the sports facilities and parks) within a 30-min travelling by train away from uni?
4) Where do usually the PhD students live? In downtown or in the subburbs?
5) How to find a supervisor? Any ideas on the web sites with their interests?
6) Most importantly, are there any English web sites for accomodation? My German language skills wish to be better!
7) How advisable is it to pursue a PhD in economics if one will try to make a career in busness?

So I will really again appreciate any answers and feedback....

cheers

Den

in fact they are not even identical. Something weird is going on. Are these serious threads? I doubt that for some reason.

D

sorry guys ..I dunno how to remove these threads...I am a newby here... I simply put the 3 identical msgs in 2 sectors: 1) Business and Law and 2) General

Denis

M

Hi Den,

I don't live in Munich, but I have heard that Schwabing is supposedly nice. Lots of students. But it also seems to be quite hard to find an affordable place there. However, I think on 2000€/month, you should be able to live quite well.

I still doubt the idea with the car is a good one. For travelling within Europe, getting a discount card for the railways system is much better. I think that being Canadian, you should be able to buy a pass that allows you to travel for a lot cheaper within Europe than what you would usually pay. I think if you had a car, it would be hardly possible to find a suitable apartment because there is no parking whatsoever.

I am a second year econ PhD in Germany. As for me, I don't plan to stay in academia. If you have a PhD in Germany, it is much easier to score the job you want and the pay is much better than without.