PhD in Munich, Germany

D

Where do you think the PhD guys are most preferred to live in Munich during a 3-year period? (student residence, own flat or appartment, a family-shared place or even a house) I am urgently looking now for a place in Munich. I should come there in September from Moscow. I prefer the following: quietness, a greeny district with the fresh air and no high ways and most importantly ability to socialize with other PhD ppl in my area. I am cost-tolerant and may afford either to pay for my own rent or get the student accomodation (but it all depends on the criteria mentioned above)

-Where do most of them spend their daily time? (staying long hours at home, library or in a given office at a department) Where do you think is the optimal place for studying and staying (the creativity-wise)

Thank you all in advance....

Den

M

Dear Den,

you must be very cost-tolerant to tolerate what you will have to pay if you get the accomodation you decribed. Munich is VERY expensive. As far as I know, there is no student accomodation for PhD students. Are you German? If not, the university might be able to help you finding a place. Usually they don't do that. For a 30m² apartment in Munich any were kind of close (less than half an hour train ride) to the university, you can very well expect to pay at least 700 €/month, including utilities. Good luck!

N

You may want to take a look at www.studenten-wg.de ... it's a website to look for rooms in shared flats. At least it will give you an idea of how much will you be paying for a room which should be cheaper than an appartment but among the most expensive rents in Germany anyway.

S

i don't know so much about international students in germany, but local PhD students would normally have either their own appartment or share a flat with other PhD students/professionals.

PhD students in germany are typically regarded as staff, earn a wage, have their office, they are involved with several projects at a time, do a large part of teaching etc. You won't find many PhD students spending their days in the library.