PhD in the University of Oxford??

V

Hi all!

Recently I was accepted for a master program in Oxford, but I plan to continue to PhD. Ok, Im a bit scared about Oxford since, as we know, is one of the top five universities in the world (or is it number one, actually?), so I guess it is going to be very demanding and Im afraid I'm not of the proper caliber to be succesful.

Any one in Oxford? How ist living there? Is it very expensive, just like London? Is it fun? Pros and cons?

Im also scared that students in Oxford might tend to be..... you know, arrogant and competitive and unfriendly as they are studying in one of the best universities in the world. Well I do not know, but I feel a bit impressed...

thanks all!

S

I think there are one or two Oxbridge posters on here who might be able to help. I'd love to help myself but as I'm not at Oxbridge I'm not worthy!

me neither. We are second class citizens on this board

S

U

IMHO, at PhD level, it is your department's Research rating and funding that are more important than university name. From people I know from Oxbridge, first degree graduates tend to be more able, but at higher degree level, I would look for a Uni with good RAE rating in your chosen field.

By your email though you sound like you'll fit in very well - only joking.

T

Firstly, I think you'll find that at graduate level in Oxbridge everyone is as normal and as poor as everyone else! I guess you don't get that arrogant and competitive attitude because your research is so specific and individual that the only person you can compete with is yourself.

Secondly, it's difficult to say if a place is fun or not - because one person's idea of fun might be someone else's idea of not fun. I'm sure wherever you end up you'll have a good time.

Thirdly, no way is Oxford number 1 in the world

J

no, cambridge is ;)

R

Harvard is, according to the Top500

When I go to student events and conferences, only Oxbridge students (ok, only the guys in this case) tie their sweaters around their neck, like in the 80s. Can you picture it? (I don't mean every guy from Oxbridge does this, but I think I have a point )

T

They just can't find the holes to put the arms through. And who said Oxbrige guys were clever...

T

I'm guessing that's Arts or Humanities too?

lol coastman . Do you think embroiding arrows inside the sweater would help?

(is that how to spell embroiding by the way?)

S

I think it's embroidERing...yup.

that sounds like the correct one .