PHD in two Universities

A

hi! this is my first post, I have found this forum and seems very useful. I am a first year phd student from Spain. I always wanted to get my PhD in the states, for which I took the GRE and all that stuff. Nevertheless I found a super nice young professor and I decided to enroll here.

My question is, could I apply to get my phd with two universities? one in Spain and the other one in a different country (from which I would have co director)

Thank you very much in advance!

A

A

I have a friend who is being co-supervised by professors in two universities, in two different European countries. Having said that she is registered in just one and her PhD will be awarded from just one.

D

For my submission I have to declare that the content has not been used for another award, so in essence I could not use the same data/thesis to obtain two PhDs from different institutes.  This may also be realised if the plagiarism software used is the same software. So I am not sure that this idea is possible.

D

I have supervisors from two separate universities and use facilities at both however I am enrolled for the award at only one.

A

many thanks for your answers. That is the thing, I get no funding andI dont TA either..in other words, I am not getting enough help beside my director who is ,once again, very helpful but in the end, he is a new associate professor at the university.

so, what would happen if I apply for a phd in the states where I obtain some sort of funding, teacher assistantship....? Would they rejected me just because I am already enrolled somewhere else?

Thank you very much in advance!

Saludos

A

Quote From amadorjimenez:

so, what would happen if I apply for a phd in the states where I obtain some sort of funding, teacher assistantship....? Would they rejected me just because I am already enrolled somewhere else?

What would happen is I think that your current helpful supervisor might be very annoyed. I think you need to be careful how you go about things. Why not schedule a meeting with your supervisor and advise him/her of your financial problems. Try to frame your problem/desire to study elsewhere around your financial difficulties. It would not be looked favourably by your supervisor, or indeed a potential university if you were perceived as trying to leave your current university simply because you fancy studying elsewhere.

It is possible to transfer but you must have a good reason. Your supervisor may be able to suggest additional funding opportunities for you. You could investigate applying for funding in the States but such funding schemes are usually extremely competitive and generally are for new projects, not for somebody mid-project. Could you incorporate carrying out some of your fieldwork in the the States? That would be a valid reason for moving.

I would tread very carefully.

A

good point. In principle, my topic is totally applicable and apposite enough to be incorporated in the states. Indeed, i do not want to hurt this supervisor of mine, but, if the moment arrives, he should understand that funding is important for phd candidates. He, as associate professor, does not have the influence to get me any sort of funding. I would just hope changing him to co-director status would not suppose a major drawback for him.

At the same time, I wonder whether i should explain all this to potential universities or supervisors before sending any applications (especially because some of them are not cheap at all...)

muchas gracias

A

K

Although I have not lived in my country of origin for more than 24 years I am a US citizen with origin in Spain. Universities here a different business altogether. The way you're expressing yourself indicates you're going to be in a lot of trouble if you don't adapt to the ways of the US. Do it soon so you can avoid more unbecoming situations than you need to. Sorry to be so blunt.