Phd: lack supervision

I

Is it a case of bad supervision if my professor told me to read up on any research field(bioscience) and to come up with a research question that would interest me? I feel that my coursemates are a project but i have to come up with one. This is frustrating.

E

It certainly is more usual in science for the supervisor to come up with the initial project idea, obtain the funding for it, and then advertise it to potential students. Did you not apply for a funded studentship that way? Or are you self-funded?

Either way, you could look at it as a good opportunity to design the project you really want to do. Presumably you had some ideas when applying for a PhD of what you were interested in working on? However, your supervisor should give you some guidance and advice to make sure your proposal is practical and suitable for a PhD - have they really said you can choose absolutely anything within the biosciences field? Surely it has to be something the supervisor has expertise in, and that their lab is equipped for?

K

The short answer is no.

But the department you sre in must have some area of interest? And equipment. What papers does your department publish? You have to have a reseaon for taking this position well let that guide you on what field of science you look into.

Bioscience is a very broad term, are you in cell biology, bioinformatics, cancer markers, disease markers, new drug treatments. Is your university connected to hospital patients, trial studies etc. These all fall under 'bioscience' but not all labs have the facilities for these types of studies or research.

You have to know an area of these, you then narrow the literature, consider what you'd like to see as a career option (such as cancer studies) and see where a gap in knowledge might be that you can try and provide more insight into with your phd.

T

I know of several students who have been asked to come up with their own projects in Biology, even if they are not self funded. Sometime PhDs are advertised with a very broad scope that the student then has to narrow down.