Phd or Job dilemma

V

Hello
I am in great confusion since long. I am currently looking out for job holding a Masters degree from IIT and 1+ yr exp. I am thinking of joining Phd eventually, in a yr or two.
But, my thoughts to go for Phd are not that strong and I would like to spend little more time in industries because of not getting expected job and quality of work during my first employment.
Can you people guide me.
Should I think positively towards Phd and start looking for something which can help me to get better univ. or look for better job, in such a confusing mindset?
Also, is there any direct advantage of having relevant work exp before applying for Phd?

M

Vishal1212

I think if you have a choice between job and a PhD, you need to give priority to job. As you can see in this forum, at times, people with PhDs don't even get a job. e.g. they might be considered overqualified for a number of jobs or managers might feel insecure etc. However, it probably depends upon the age-old logic of demand and supply and your particular area of interest. Look around and ask your seniors. You need to understand that PhD is a somewhat long term and frustrating commitment. And at the end, whether or not you will end up with a job cannot be guaranteed. If you want to do research and remain in the academia (and in general consider yourself strong in research etc.), then by all means, go for a PhD. If however you have not published any papers or are not that much into research, think carefully. Also, remember, doing a Masters degree has no comparison at all with what you experience in a PhD. It is a completely different ballgame. I suggest you should talk with other PhD students in the University you are planning on applying before you make the decision.

Cheers