PhD or new job conondrum

P

In the last couple of days I have been fortunate to be offered a PhD position funded for three years and a new, better job where I will get to use and develop my research skills. The job might be only for 12 months but there is a good chance that it will be made permanent after that time. A simple question is: what do I do? I have read about difficulties of finding a permanent job after completing a PhD and also will have to seek funding if I do not manage to complete it in 3 years not to mention a pay cut I will be taking compared to my wages now.

S

Quote From polka:
In the last couple of days I have been fortunate to be offered a PhD position funded for three years and a new, better job where I will get to use and develop my research skills. The job might be only for 12 months but there is a good chance that it will be made permanent after that time. A simple question is: what do I do? I have read about difficulties of finding a permanent job after completing a PhD and also will have to seek funding if I do not manage to complete it in 3 years not to mention a pay cut I will be taking compared to my wages now.

Sounds an easy one to me - take the job.

T

Depends how much you really want to do a PhD.

It appears you've quite a bit of thinking to do. Please take a look at my blog (link following) to see if it's any assistance.

To me, the right reasons to do one are the chance to undertake work that will provide new and original knowledge to your chosen field. I decided to take that chance, even though I'd been warned it was going to be hard and that there might be problems job hunting at the end. The big problem is the small number of post-doc positions compared to the surplus PhDs produced for those wanting to stay in academia.

I went on to do two post-docs after the PhD, these being the infamous short-term contracts. After that (partially due to difficulties with the second post-doc), I had a year of unemployment hunting for mainly real world work and my qualifications were cited as a reason (will leave as soon as there's something better, will get bored in the role, too academic, etc.). I finally found a job and although it's not my chosen area, it's a job. Someone else had five offers of jobs after undergrad compared to two after PhD, when job hunting was easier.

Do I regret the PhD? No, for the simple reason I got that chance to do something original. Others, however, might consider that the employablity issue may mean it's too big a risk to take. Another poster I have read regrets taking his PhD for this very reason.

Conversely, a colleagues applied for jobs whilst post-doc and job active. He eventually landed a technical job with an Irish company before returning to the UK after 18 months. He has remained in work in his chosen field since. So your approach to job hunting may help.

Yes, there are difficulties but I found it very fulfilling and I also became more confident as a person. As Tree of Life says, it depends how much you want to do one.

Ian

C

If the job is for 12 months, I might be tempted to take it and do a PhD after. If you are being offered funding for a PhD now, you can probably also get it in the future.

Quote From CR1980:
If the job is for 12 months, I might be tempted to take it and do a PhD after. If you are being offered funding for a PhD now, you can probably also get it in the future.

How this is called is not clear cut to me. The job is for 12 months with possible extension. If it was a permanent, full time job, it might be the obvious choice in this day and age, simply because the job market is a nightmare even coming out of recession. But a 12 month contract with no guarantees when you've a funded PhD on offer? I don;t know.

If you take the job, I'm not so sure that the right funded PhD will be there in 12 months. It helps if the PhD is the "right fit" for the person. There might be a funded PhD on offer in 12 months, but will it (or any others) be right for the person?

I don't know about the opening poster's personal circumstances, but this must also be an influence. If single and no ties, then in the same situation the PhD may be more tempting. However, if with partner and future plans to settle down, then taking the job might be a better option financially in the short term whilst looking for another job and only considering the PhD at some point in the future if finances allow.

Ian