PhD Resubmission timescale

L

Hello all

I'm in panic mode and wondered whether anyone has been in a similar situation, so here goes: I had my first viva back in February of last year and got the best possible outcome at the time, ie a resubmission + new viva (long story short, my PhD journey includes having a second child, leaving an abusive marriage, relocating twice, becoming a single working mum to 2 young kids, one of which is on the autistic spectrum, going to therapy, and other stuff - suffice to say I didn't have much time to focus on my thesis). The examiners were thorough but really lovely, and receptive to the fact that I already knew the shortcomings of the thesis going in. The report was positive considering, they mentioned I knew my stuff and did achieve my goals to an extent but there was much to be done in restructuring the thesis and adding some new stuff.

Roll on 12 months, 10 of which mostly doing all sorts of things but work on the PhD, my sup tentatively gets in touch and gently coerces me into finishing it, I work like a bad woman for 6 weeks straight - not my best work by any stretch but at least some new material and a new way of applying a particular theoretical framework.

Anyway, against my better judgement I submitted in mid-February, under the same supervisory team and with the same examiners. It's been 10 weeks and I've heard crickets so far. I emailed the office a couple of times to no avail, my sup isn't replying to my email and everyone is waiting on the word of the internal.

My uni has strict guidelines - viva within 12 weeks of submitting with 2 weeks' notice, the last day being today - I don't want to hassle the lady at the office but I really need to start organising my time and can't make myself available forever.

Is this situation usual? I've done my PhD mostly in isolation so not sure what happens in other institutions.

M

I'd start chasing-won't do any harm. I had an R and R also after a very unfair viva where I didn't get to defend-I've not got another viva though. Paid my £1600 resubmission fee, carried out corrections. Submitted in March. Didly Squat until I bumped into my external at a conference and he told me he only received my thesis 3 days previous after HE chased. He had been abroad, the thesis had been returned to the uni and nobody bothered to communicate this to myself or my supervisor. External is turning around my thesis over this coming week as he knows I have to move on. Internal is a different matter and has had the thesis for the full allotted time. The deadline for them is next Friday. If nothing by next Monday I will be complaining as I'm going to miss graduation at this rate.

L

Quote From muspectrum:
I'd start chasing-won't do any harm. I had an R and R also after a very unfair viva where I didn't get to defend-I've not got another viva though. Paid my £1600 resubmission fee, carried out corrections. Submitted in March. Didly Squat until I bumped into my external at a conference and he told me he only received my thesis 3 days previous after HE chased. He had been abroad, the thesis had been returned to the uni and nobody bothered to communicate this to myself or my supervisor. External is turning around my thesis over this coming week as he knows I have to move on. Internal is a different matter and has had the thesis for the full allotted time. The deadline for them is next Friday. If nothing by next Monday I will be complaining as I'm going to miss graduation at this rate.

Oh dear. Sounds like you're on the receiving end of red tape hell! Also, £1600 in resubmission fee seems very steep. Hope this resolves quickly for you.

I'm not so good at chasing but yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks for the reply!