PhD Student with no international experience

T

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I find it really interesting.

I'm currently a PhD student, I study Contemporary History (Greece and decolonization to be more specific), University of Athens.

I got a BA in Philosophy, Pedagogy and Psychology and an MPhil in Contemporary Greek History from the same University. My supervisor told me that I need some international experience. So I checked some Universities in the UK and they do offer "visiting research". Does this cound as international experience? Will it cound if I add this to my CV? Plus, I'd like to know if there are scholarships within the UK for such studies.

Thank you in advance!

T

This would count as international experience, yes, but really I doubt it would be the decider between a successful job application and a unsuccessful one. But every little but helps I guess. I don't think you will get a scholarship from the UK for this, but you might find some relevant academic societies that will give you small amounts of funding. What about Erasmus?

T

Thanks for your reply! As for academic career would this matter?

From what I know Erasmus doesn't much cover such studies, but some Institutions (like LSE) offer some funding, for particular fields of studies.

T

I think that there are so many things that contribute to whether or not you get an academic career that if you tick 15/20 boxes it wouldn't matter much whether you have international experience ie if you have great publications, contacts, the ability to move around etc then international experience is a bonus, but it's unlikely to be the difference between job or no job.

T

Thank you very much!!