PhD Students in Hong Kong

T

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I'm starting my PhD at a Hong Kong uni (HKUST). I was wondering whether there is any one in this forum doing a PhD at HK?

Thanks!

S

hi Thusi!
welcome to the forum!
I'm not doing my phd in hongkong but I'd love to be there!!!
I love Hongkong!!! Shopping is great there!!!

best of luck

love satchi

D

Hello,

Lucky you as the food is lovely too! Unfortunately I'm not in HK either.

Good luck ;-)

T

Hi Satchi and Doodles, Thanks for the welcome. I arrived at HK (The airport is a mess because of the summer crowds) and things seemed to be nice. the uni -HKUST looks great (awesome views! Harbour+hills+forests).

But everybody seems to be very afraid of their Supervisors! Ppl say they r so different from the western open/friendly style. Hopefully my one would be a gentle soul.

D

How are you settling in? It sounds like you've got a lovely location away from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to enjoy it. Yeah the attitude is very different over there to the west as supervisors are your superiors and you must treat them accordingly and show respect. That said they respect hard work and efficiency and will reward you for doing so. It is normal to address your supervisor using their title and not their first name as the culture is to show respect to your elders. Have fun. I'm sure it'll be worth the readjustment.

T

Settling in seems to be ok... Got a lab space. And have some nice people in the lab as well. Its always good to have a group pf people doing the same kind of stuff, and a group to have lunch/dinner with! The working hours seems to be a bit odd (10am-10pm or later depending on work) Chinese students do work very hard i guess. But the supervisor is American born Chinese and he seems to be very cool.

Getting started with some research stuff as well. so got some good reading to do for the next couple of weeks!