phd students in virology

R

if n e one out there is doin a phd in virology could u plz give me an idea of what it is like. thanks

H

A few of my friends are doing a PhD in virology. What do you want to know?

R

hi heather, thanks 4 ur reply. i just want to know what to expect basically about doin a phd in virology, what it entails, and what made them do it really and stuff like that. thanks

T

Its not exactly the same but my PhD is in bacteriology so its on a par with virology.. I have just started so at the moment I am just going through training in various molecular techniques and generally getting to grips with lab work again. I am also doing alot of reading to see what is going on and what has been done in my area of research so that I can formulate some ideas so I don't look retarded when I have my supervisory meetings

Why bacteriology? Well I have a degree in vet science and have an interest in disease, and when I was at uni I enjoyed infectious diseases and wanted to get involved in researching pathogenesis of disease and that sort of thing.. It was a toss up between bacteria or viruses and I decided on bacteria simply because I liked this particular project and I get to play with chickens which are cool :o)

Hope that answers some of your questions.

H

Hey Tricky. My PhD is in bacteriology as well. I am in my second year. Techniques for bacteriology and virology can be similar and then different depending on what type of virus you are working with. Alot of research will involve molecular techniques such as PCR and cloning. The basic principles will be common to both research areas. Depending on the area of research there may be protein assays, infection studies in-vitro and in-vivo, confocal microscopy etc. Basically, you will be in the lab alot. My friends doing virology and me doing microbiology chose to do our PhD's in this area as we are interested in disease and the mechanisms surrounding it. I think as long as you have an idea of what you are getting yourself into and you enjoy it, then you should be fine. What are you interested in?

R

hi,
thanks 4 that. i am interested in understanding the molecular basis of disease. i have completed a bsc in biochemistry and an msc in biomedical science. i am about to apply for a phd in virology. the department is new within the university and thus haven't had the opportunity to speak 2 phd students. thanks a lot. n e help as it what to include in my proposal and application will be appreciated.

T

Well the main question to be addressed in a PhD application is your motivation for doing a PhD.. I was told while applying that it is one of the most important things. Then on top of that you need to give a few reasons on why you chose this particular subject. Then it is always a good idea to put down any future plans to show how a PhD will fit into your career plans

Heather.. What area of bacteriology are u working in? I am looking at commensals and microflora in the avian intestinal tract..

H

Tricky, im doing subunit vaccine design for a pig respiratory infection!!

As for PhD applications, like Tricky said state why you want to do the PhD and maybe a few initial ideas for the project

T

Cool, I looked at doing something with pigs looking at Streptococcus suis.. Where you doing that?

H

Royal Vet College. Another chap here is looking at Strep suis as well

T

Ah I did wonder if it was there.. so you are prob working with Andy Rycroft then?

I did my undergrad there he was my tutor and one of my referees for my PhD applications

H

yes but Tricky will come up with something really amazing and get there first!

H

My god, thats kind of weird. Andy is my supervisor and Josh Slater is my second supervisor. Did you do the BVetMed of VetSci?

T

I am not doing work on Strep suis.. I applied for the position at the RVC looking at it but I didnt get it.. It was my first PhD interview and I was rather crap in it lol

T

Hehe small world!

I was doing the BVetMed course there.