Phd Studentship done directly after a Masters

L

I am enquiry if anyone who started a phd directly after a masters, with masters degree not being finished until September.

would universites offer you a studentship or would it be best to start the year after?

Hi leb050. I was doing my masters when I got the studentship offers from 2 universities, in 2004. One was commencing on September, the other was commencing on October. I got both of these offers in April that year and they knew I wasn't going to finish my masters until the 2nd week of August. I hope this info helps. So, you don't need to wait until you finish your studies. But I heard that sometimes universities can add a condition to finish your current studies, to their offer letter.

A

I have a Ph.D. studentship at Aston, I received the offer in May and didn't finish my MA degree until late June. They were totally fine with that, the other uni that also offered me funding (but less, so I chose Aston) made the scholarship offer conditional on me getting the degree by August.

L

must have applied early, having probably only started your masters, I suppose universities take into account your first degree, do most expect 2:1s, First, and is there anything else they would take into account (you know being that early on in a masters)?

G

I started my PhD straight after I finished my MSc, in fact I didn't get my Masters result until the October and started my PhD in the September. I had a 2i in my undergrad degree so they gave me an unconditional offer.

L

i got a 2:2, with a place onto a masters, and i'm wondering if possible i would get a similar offer, being able to do a phd after my masters!

S

Depending on how the Master's is structured you may have exam marks or a predicted grade that will be taken into account in considering you for a PhD