PhD Supervisor Woe - Strange Circumstances

T

I work as an academic member of staff in a University but don't yet have a PhD. Work are happy to pay for the tuition as long as I come up with a reasonable proposal that a). adds to my work and enhances the school and b). contributes to my development. One of my colleagues said he would be happy to supervise me and said we should get together. He's a very busy person, undoubtedly, but he is NOT responding to my emails. He says hi and smiles in the corridor when I've seen him (I've been chatting with students and other members of staff so couldn't collar him) but he doesn't say anything. Since April, I have sent him three emails asking for a quick chat (I'll buy coffee) and each one has been ignored. When I told him I was interested in doing the doctorate he volunteered his support via email and said how interesting it sounded.

If he's changed his mind, that's his prerogative (it will be a pain for me as he's the only one doing this), but as a colleague, I would appreciate a brief email saying thanks but no thanks at the very least so I can reconsider doing the PhD or try to find another topic which interests me within the confines that have been put on me topic-wise.

The opportunity to do a PhD means a lot to me but he's really holding things up and I am still at the proposal stage. I feel really down about this situation and just don't know where to go from here.

Any advice would be much appreciated and I would be interested in anyone who has done a PhD with a colleague as your supervisor and how it changed the nature of your relationship.

With many thanks.

A

I don't have experience with a similar situation but with regards to his non-response to your emails, is there any way of cornering him by going to his office, for example? If you're struggling to communicate with him now can you imagine what it'll be like if you start working for him as a PhD student?

Maybe you should start making discreet enquiries about other options just in case this doesn't work out because April was a while away now.

S

======= Date Modified 26 Jul 2012 15:29:25 =======
Go knock on his door and speak to him. Many people (especially academics) either don't check their emails or easily forget on of the hundreds they receive each day. If he's a colleague there should surely not be a problem with knocking on their door for a chat?

I never email my supervisor, I just go and knock on his door or he comes and knocks on mine.

J

One thing to consider is that not only is he considering whether to take you on as a student, but you are considering whether to have him as a supervisor. The relationship is reciprocal- yes, the student gets a great deal of support and knowledge from their supervisor, but the supervisor gets various things too - publications that you will do the majority of the work for, the ability to put your name on their CV as a successful PhD, a colleague that knows the field to bounce ideas off, occasional help with workloads. Unless he is already a professor, you are useful for his own career progression. And you bring money to the department, even if it is the departments own money!

I suppose my point is that you should not be completely deferential and begging him to supervise - it goes both ways!

So, consider whether or not this individual is the best person to help you in the long, arduous journey that is a PhD - are you the type to get worried/angry when you do not get an email reply, or can you adapt to phoning/knocking on the door if you know this is not one of their strong point.

My secondary supervisor is a colleague and friend. Personally, I have found that this has strained the supervisory relationship, and would have preferred to not have had that background relationship. But leaving that aside, in this situation, I agree with the above advice-knock on the door with a packet of biscuits and a smile, and ask if he can spare 10 minutes...

T

Thank you for the replies. I've sent a discrete email to another colleague (his boss) but to simply outline my plans and ask if he can recommend supervisors. The good thing is, I will need another supervisor/director of studies in any case as this person has not yet had any completions to his name.

I will try to bump into him in his office although he is rarely there at this time of year and he is being seconded for the next academic year, but not sure where he will be based (he knew this at the time of volunteering).

Thanks for the reassurance. I'd still like him on board if at all possible but am now exploring supervisory plan B!

L

Hi,
Just wanted to add another perspective to your thread, feel free to ignore it :) I agree with AlleyCat, if you can't get a hold of him now what would it be like to have him supervise you? I have a supervisor who happily agreed to take me on as a PhD. He also didn't reply to emails (he was my supervisor for a 3 month taught MSc project). He still doesn't reply to emails and it's an absolute nightmare to get any constructive feedback from him. Your colleague may just be bad at replying to emails, so maybe the best thing is to knock on his door and make a decision based on a proper discussion. I agree with the other comments on the relationship being two-way, pick your supervisor carefully!

Hope that helps