PhD to MSc/MPhil?

T

======= Date Modified 25 39 2008 15:39:11 =======
Hi,

I am an international student who's applying for a Ph.D to some UK and Australian universities. I've already applied to Monash university, Australia and have received information that I have been offered a full scholarship. My background is a B.Sc with Honours, but no Master's degree.

My question is this: initially I liked the idea that the Ph.D program at UK and Australian universities would be 3 years as opposed to the 6 years in US and Canada, but now I'm beginning to worry a bit about the massive learning curve I would face by going directly for a Ph.D at either UK or Australia. Also, I would have very little room to change the direction of my research if I felt like I would enjoy researching a different area from the one I started with.

If I face such a situation, would it be possible for me to terminate the Ph.D halfway through and obtain an M.Sc or an M.Phil instead? And if I do so, would it reduce my chances to get admission for a Ph.D at a later time? Would ending a Ph.D program in such a way make it likely to end the relationship with the supervisor in a negative way such that I wouldn't be able to obtain a recommendation later?

S

I am not aware of the Australian rules. I can only advise you as a British citizen who has done a PhD in Britain, and am now working in the US so I know some of their PhD rules. Also my background is science, so their may be some differences if you are in a different field

Obviously in the UK you would require to get funding whether it be through the university, most assign a number of students a year and these are not based on your nationality (I believe) or independant funding board. In the US you would have to be admitted to a PhD programme which would fund you.

The UK PhD program has a tranfer after the first year - so basically you are always enrolled on an MSC/PHD program - after a year if it is not for you you can write your transfer report and be awarded a masters. Yes your supervisor would not approve (mostly) but usually if it comes to that i.e. stopping after a year - it will be because both of you will be in agreement that it is not working.
In the UK a masters is not necessary, if your undergraduate degree grades are either a 1st class or 2i class (this obviously varies is Australia, but they will take equivolents). Usually a 1st is top70% and 2i is top 60% (roughly). In the US its based on GRE scores - I don't know if foreigners are required to take this, but I kind of imagine you would - basically the higher the GRE the better chance of acceptance (I think above a 1200 is good?). BTW the GRE is just a separate test you have to pay for and sit here in the US

A complete change of labs in the UK would really not be possible without restarting the PhD - except I'm sure in some very rare circumstances. The nice thing about the US system is that you are admitted to a PhD programme, not a project. You then rotate through 3 labs (of your choice) for the first year and do classes for 2 years to get you up to speed. In the second year you will have chosen the lab and the general project. and the aim is to get published and done in about 4 (ish years). This very very much depends on the lab, but good ones, with an attentive supervisor will get you out ASAP with a bunch of publications.

As for the learning curve it is the same no matter what you do, it is going to be difficult! you are going to get upset, no matter where you are or who you are, you may cry, you'll probably shout at people (and regret it later), you will complain a lot (more so as the years go on) and you'll probably wanna quit and throw in the towel several times - but I really think thats just part of the process, no matter what country you do it in. Everybody goes through it (except one or two lucky buggers I'm sure!)

In my experience the six (ish) years here in the US doesn't make that much of a difference - also it is possible to be done if 4 or 5 here. You will find (in most cases that I'm aware of) a British PhD is rarely completed in 3 years, and you will only be paid for 3 years. You just have to struggle through the write up phase with no pay or find another job. In the US the fund you till you are finished. If you get a crappy supervisor (PI) then it is going to suck, so that is very! very! important to pick the right person and not just take the first thing to come to you.

As for changing of ideas - Topics in science at least (my field) are very fluid. as long as you stay within the rough parameters of what your lab is interested in then you can pick and choose experiments - although this usually occurs after the first year. There is no set point for this, but its about becoming independant and being in charge of your research - at the end of the day you will defend it as YOUR work, that you did, based on what you wanted to investigate.

Now I feel I've made the UK sound like a bad system, but its not - its just very focused, there is less funding (at the moment) and less room for manouver. The US is more of a taught process, particularly for the classes for the first two years. But! you'

S

Sorry seem to have wittered on a little too much in the last post

but point is its up to you and how much you work and how much time you put in

Good luck, hope this was helpful

S

S

Sorry seem to have wittered on a little too much in the last post

but point is its up to you and how much you work and how much time you put in

Good luck, hope this was helpful

S

B

Hi, I have read the whole ., I am indeed looking for funded projects in US for my PhD in molecular biology. Iam an international student completed Masters in UK and now looking for funded projects in US. Since you already told that US is far better in funding., May I know how to approach supervisors? Do I got to write GRE? Are there any universities which can offer funded projects without GRE?