PhD v proper job

C

Can any of you offer advise on my situation?
I have recently completed a MSc,towards the end of which I was asked if I was interested in PhD, to which I replied yes. From then things have snowballed- applications for funding have flown out the department involving a lot of work from a lot of people. I found out this week that I have been successful in getting funding, but the funding is for me, not for the project. In other words, if I don;t do the PhD the department don;t get the money. However, I'm not sure if this is really what I want to do.

C

My main concerns are that I'm currently 25, and finishing a PhD at 28/29 with still no career path- I feel puts me back in the same position as I'm in now (confused & job hunting!). I don't think I'm interested in lecturing, and my subject area is quite a limited niche area. Whilst PhD funding should be sufficient to live on, I would like to think that if I was able to get a job in a large company with graduate training/development I would be on better salary in 3/4 years time. I guess you will all ask what I want to do in the end, and in all honesty I'm not sure. A secure job with development in a challenging career would great, but niggling at the back of mind is the thought of being able to make an impact in my subject area- although getting a post doc in the same area is tough, if not a miracle.

C

I also would feel incredibly guilty if I didn't take up this opportunity- both in time, help and advice people have given me and also denying the department a research project. My supervisor (same for my MSc- PhD would be an extension of MSc project) has been superb and we get on well.
What do I do?

B

Hi Cowgirl,

My advice is ...

Don't feel obligated to take on the PhD if it's not the right thing for you. Undertaking a PhD shouldn't be taken lightly (it's hard work and a lot of stress!!!), and if you aren't ready to do one at this stage in your life, then I'm sure your potential supervisor will understand.

Having said that, PhD's can (sometimes) be a useful qualification to have even if you don't want to work in academia. However, only you really know how useful one would be for your future intended career plans.

Why don't you start looking for jobs - keep the PhD offer open for the moment - and see how you feel after you've gauged what the job situation is like 'out there'?

Ultimately, only you know what is the best option for you.

S

Sorry to cut in, cowgirl and Goods. I've been wondering if a PhD can really enhance our earning power? I've seen some BAs,BScs and LLBs earning over 40,000 pounds a year while lecturers (not professors)are normally paid below this level. Anyway ,it's up to ourselves to decide what we want, a real interest in the research subject would lead you to a career in academia, otherwise a PhD title wouldn't make much difference in other walks of life? Maybe I'm too pessimistic and short-sighted?

C

I won't claim to know much about it, but the impression I get is that unless you are set on a research career in academia then a PhD is not an advantage, and won't make up for the 3 yrs work experience you could alternatively be doing. Pessimistic maybe. But I have also been told that within a research institute you can;t progress above research assistant posts without a PhD.

S

Yes, actually I've been told the same and kept on hesitating whether to carry it on or withdraw forthwith....I don't know where this qualification will lead me to, coz things keep on changing and I won't be able to predict if the subject will secure a lectureship/research associate or not. I don't want to reel back in a position such as marketing assistant which I used to be as an undergrad, with a title of 'Dr'.

O

Hi, just a few words to add to this discussion:

does it matter if one earns more after three years of PhD studies than a normal graduate? Do you not have the same chances to work your way up (just three years later and with a PhD title).

O

People, where is your pride? Is everybody really doing a PhD just for the (non-existant) financial benefits or in order to pursue careers in academia?

Who, like me, pursues a PhD in order to achieve something incredible, to follow a route not many dare to embark on, to climb a challenging mountain and to succeed?

Those, who fight, will ultimately win. Therefore, follow your heart and don't see it only as a way to increase employability or your paycheck. If you get a doctorate and call yourself 'Dr', then you have truly achieved something extraordinary. You might not reap the rewards directly but ultimately you increased your skills, your duration and your employability inside the academic ivory tower and beyond it; but more importantly you will smile at your face in the mirror - and a true winner will smile back at you.

S

O.stoll, I agree with you to some extent. I used to think in this way several month ago, but the reality is, we need keep ourselves going, live a decent, quality life, and then confidence and sense of success will come out of it, not the other way round....

B

O.Stoll

Although I take on board some of the points you are making ...

... unfortunately, most of us live in the 'real' world and have to think about careers (i.e. money!). Also, doing a PhD just to ultimately attain the title 'Dr' is - in my opinion - totally the wrong reason for doing a PhD (and makes no sense in the context of your argument, as this title only does have real worth within academic circles/industry related jobs).

Yes, completing a PhD (and passing) is an achievement in and of itself. However, let's keep this 'real' and remember that - at the end of the day - this is just a PhD we are talking about!

O

Goods- thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, they make no sense to me at all.

I, too, live in the "real" world. I, too, have to live and pay rent, electricity, telephone, gas, petrol and food.

My original argument was to consider that a PhD is not a disadvantage. You could still apply for graduate jobs once it is completed, it is not like: "Oh, I'm going to do a PhD, now my career-pathway is pre-defined forever". Rather, the personal freedom remains exactly the same like that of a Bachelor-graduate. The only difference is that you are likely to be three or four years older than before you embarked on the PhD process.

O

Therefore, this whole discussion is partly too negative. Still, I agree that one should not just do a PhD for the title. Nevertheless, the title and the inner feeling of achievement is so amazing (in combination with the confidence boost), that is likely to generate career benefits and life quality to an extent you will only begin to realise retrospectively.

G

Interesting o.stoll. Did you find this in your case?

C

o.stoll - whilst I agree with your comments on the immense achievement passing a PhD is, this alone will not secure you a job. I'm also concerned that having toiled away for 3+yrs, graduate employers may see you as over qualified with a PhD, and they may prefer young graduates. However, in addition to this is the fact that I'm female- if I chose to do a PhD I would be 28+ and I'm sure a family will soon become a major consideration. I personally feel that I would want to be secure in a career path before embarking into motherhood. Has anybody else considered this aspect of age and PhDs? Plus, if I'm thinking like this unfortunately I think potential employers in 3yrs time with a female at 28 are also going to consider this a "risk" as well, even if they would not admit it.
Wouldn;t it be great if money wasn't an issue and we could truly do as we wish- I would love the challenge of a PhD.