PhD versus clinical science job??

C

Hello,

I'm a final yr biology undergrad and my problem is this:-i've just been offered two good but very different positions for after i graduate. Obv I am very chuffed to have been offered them but I am in a bit of a dilemma as to which to choose and I would like some advice as i need 2 make a decision asap! One is a good-sounding fully-funded PhD in a biochemistry/cell biology area, and the other is a position as an NHS trainee clinical scientist in audiology (I'm in UK btw). So, they are very different areas of science! To be honest I've never had my heart set on doing one particular thing (which is why i applied for such diff science areas) and my mind is split 50:50 between them! Both would also provide me with the means to access high level scientific jobs.

So considering i actually don't know which one i would enjoy more i wanted some advice on which one would be better to do in terms of employment prospects? What are employment prospects like for getting a permanent job after having done a PhD? (I wouldn't want a permanent job in academia though). I do know that a lot of people apply for clinical science posts after having done a PhD aswell. As regards the trainee clinical science post i've been offered,the NHS is nt in a great state at the mo either so theres no guarantees after i've completed the training.

Can anyone offer me any knowledge/advice on this- what should i choose in order to have more guarantee of a permanent job after/ better job security/ what are employment prospects like etc?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

D

I know nothing of your area and it's really a personal decision but I'd take a good job over a PhD, especially in this climate. Of course you could always do a part-time PhD alongside a job but I'd imagine it would be very tough going.

S

SOD the phd go for the clinical scientist much better. do Phd later if you have to for further career prospects

B

Hi Carrie,

Firstly congrats on gettin 2 fantastic offers!! From my friends experiences i would suggest you take the clinical scientist job, as NHS jobs are v tough to get, I have several friends who have graduated with first class degree in BMS but had no luck with gettign trainine biomedical scientist jobs. Like u said, at present the NHS is not in a great state, but once your qualified there are loads of jobs u can apply, its the trainee jobs that are like gold dust. 2 ppl in our PhD office (around 30) who worked as clinical scientist in the NHS are now doing phd (1 full time, 1 part-time) both fully funded and both are still working for the NHS as well (they are on a rota on call, they both work on the renal transplant unit).

But I think the crucial decision, is based on whether u prefer to work and enjoy ur free time, or dedicate ur next few years to a phd project. I started my phd last october, so i am still quite new to all this phd stuff, but talkin to other 1st years who started same time as me, sometime we wish that we did a 9-5 lab job with nothing to worry about, and enjoying urself. But on other hand, the phd experience is exciting and rewarding at the same time, even thu it is hard work.