PhD Viva Outcomes and job interviews

B

Hi Guys, first time poster. Thanks in advance for your time!
I recently had my PhD viva and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The examiner was not happy with my introduction and suggested I included several sections which don't really seem that relevant to my work (they are to his however). But anyway, the main query I have is that although the viva didn't go great the examiners said that they were happy with my knowledge and my lab work, however, they wanted to give me major corrections (which they said were borderline minor) in order to change my introduction and i didn't have to re-viva or do any more lab work. I was happy enough with this, but didn't realise that my university has no option for a 'major corrections' outcome after a viva, only for no corrections or minor, therefore I have been effectively bumped down to R&R, which i was understandably dissapointed with. Is this common at other universities? Secondly, how do i go about job applications/interviews now? I obviously can't lie and say a pass with major corrections, but it seems unfair given that that would have been the examiners recommendation if the university had this option which many seem to...? Thanks for your help!

M

Quote From Bragon:
The examiner was not happy with my introduction and suggested I included several sections which don't really seem that relevant to my work (they are to his however).

This is the fault of your supervisor! You have cited the examiner's papers etc...
It is a rule of the PhD game.

M

Quote From Bragon:
I was happy enough with this, but didn't realise that my university has no option for a 'major corrections' outcome after a viva, only for no corrections or minor, therefore I have been effectively bumped down to R&R, which i was understandably dissapointed with. Is this common at other universities?

Are you absolutely sure? R&R?

B

Quote From MeaninginLife:
Quote From Bragon:
The examiner was not happy with my introduction and suggested I included several sections which don't really seem that relevant to my work (they are to his however).

This is the fault of your supervisor! You have cited the examiner's papers etc...
It is a rule of the PhD game.

I did cite many of the examiners papers, however the examiners wanted way more background info, which seems less relevant to my work than that of the examiners. TBH though, i was happy enough to do this as long as i got a pass on my viva!

B

Quote From Bragon:
I was happy enough with this, but didn't realise that my university has no option for a 'major corrections' outcome after a viva, only for no corrections or minor, therefore I have been effectively bumped down to R&R, which i was understandably dissapointed with. Is this common at other universities?

Are you absolutely sure? R&R?

Yea got my official outcome on friday, 4 weeks after the viva.

M

Quote From Bragon:
Secondly, how do i go about job applications/interviews now? I obviously can't lie and say a pass with major corrections, but it seems unfair given that that would have been the examiners recommendation if the university had this option which many seem to...? Thanks for your help!

Probably they won't demand you to provide the viva detail during interview.
If they really ask, you may honestly tell them that it was a 'borderline minor', and emphasize that there is no re-viva.
They should be happy to know that you need not apply leave for viva.

Meanwhile, quickly complete the revisions with rigour!

B

Quote From Bragon:
Secondly, how do i go about job applications/interviews now? I obviously can't lie and say a pass with major corrections, but it seems unfair given that that would have been the examiners recommendation if the university had this option which many seem to...? Thanks for your help!

Probably they won't demand you to provide the viva detail during interview.
If they really ask, you may honestly tell them that it was a 'borderline minor', and emphasize that there is no re-viva.
They should be happy to know that you need not apply leave for viva.

Meanwhile, quickly complete the revisions with rigour!

thanks!

M

You may also share that the revision is mainly introduction.
No problem with methodology and results...
Congrats! Dr Bragon!

B

You may also share that the revision is mainly introduction.
No problem with methodology and results...
Congrats! Dr Bragon!

Thanks, that's makes me feel a lot better. Now to those corrections!!