PhD viva voce

O

Hi, I'm nearing the end of my PhD and am dreading the viva voce. Does anyone know anything about the specifics of this process, or know anyone who has gone through it? I heard that some vivas can last up to 5 hours and are virtually interrogations!

D

I'm approaching the end of mine too and scared s***less about the viva. My supervisors just told me to enjoy it. They said it will be an interesting, academic chat between equals. I'm not so sure ...

A

All vivas are scary, some are more scary than others. The key is preparation - you cannot be too prepared. Know your thesis inside out, know the good points and most importantly, know the flaws. If you are aware of these and can justify/explain them then chances are you'll be fine. If you are unaware and have to have the flaws pointed out by the examining team, you are in trouble. More viva tips from me can be found here: http://www.postgraduateforum.com/showmessage.asp?thread=3457

O

Thanks for the link, Ann. It was most helpful.

W

Just had mine three days ago. I was strangely calm before I went in and through the viva as well. Your supervisor is right. It is a discussion of your thesis amongst equals. And you know your thesis more intimately than anyone else so don't worry, the defending part of it will come naturally. I found that after nit-picking and thinking my thesis over thoroughly while writing it up, the viva itself was more like explaining my thoughts and concepts to the examiners who had read my thesis in a short time and wanted to know more. My most valuable tip is to not study the day before the viva. Choose a cut off time, like 2PM the day before the viva and go see a fun movie, play or visit friends (Don't get drunk). Get up early the next day, eat well, dress comfortably and be confident but don't bluff. Be nice and accept criticism if there is truth to it. The viva is not a demon.

O

Thanks,What2DoNext.

O

Thanks, about2defend. Can you remember the sorts of questions they asked? Was it 2 hours long? That's a long time in which something can go wrong!

W

Congratz A2D!!!

O

Thanks Suz.