PhD whilst working

B

Hi,

I am currently doing a part-time MBA, which I complete in the next 12 months. I am interested in stepping up on the research and doing a PhD. I am just concerned as to how I can combine this with full time work. I am currently studying around 10-15 hrs per week on the MBA, which is manageable.

I would be intererested to hear from anyone that is doing an PhD whilst working and whether this is a worthwhile experience. I would also love to hear from anyone who went on to do a PhD following on from an MBA.

Thanks in advance, Ben

H

I think it's pretty impossible to do both. It's almost impossible to do just the one!

J

I am just putting together my proposal for a PhD after compleating my MSc while working full time. The MSc has taken three years and the PhD will be between 5-7 yrs while working full time.

This will work for me as the company is helping to fund most of the costs while providing time for practicals which are based on what I am working with. The proposal is quite detailed with several small projects and timescales for compleation. I know that this is going to be hard work and it is the planning that will allow me to do the PhD.