PhD with a 2.ii

E

Dear all.

I have a 2.ii in biosciences. But i am doing an M.Sc. as i was led to beleive that it will help improve my applications for a PhD. So far however, it has been nothing but rejections. How many PhDs should I apply for? Is it worth me applying in the first place, or is there no way to avoid my stupid undergrad grades, or should I wait until i have my M.Sc in my hand at the end of the course.

I know its an old question, but some posts are really old.

:-)

B

I think it might depend on why you got the 2ii. I have just secured a funded PhD place at one of the top universities in the country with a 2ii plus masters in a science subject. They said that they weren't worried about the 2ii because i have such good references. Although I applied to a couple of places of similar ranking and heard nothing back. maybe it just depends on if there are internal candidates or not.

J

i would imagine that there may be large numbers of applicants for each place, so that might be why you haven't been successful yet.

K

I guess it depends on where you are applying and whether you are looking for funding or are applying for PhDs that are already funded. If you are applying for your own funding for a project which you have devised yourself then it is extremely competitive and you will probably struggle with anything less than a 2.1, even if you do have an MSc, although it would no doubt help if you could secure a distinction! You probably have a much better chance if you are applying for projects that already have funding and are being advertised by the university. A friend of mine with a 2.2 and a pass at MSc level recently obtained a place on an already funded PhD, so it can be done! In your applications make sure you highlight any other relevant skills and experience which will help you stand out from the other applicants- I think it often helps to speak to the potential supervisor too if possible, just to express your interest and enthusiasm in the subject and get your name known. I would definitely keep trying- you have nothing to lose- but your application will probably look stronger when your MSc is completed. Good luck!

R

Hi all,

Eagle, I am in the biosciences too, and I know a couple of people who have a funded PhD with a 2.ii, and I know of two that got their place without an additional MSc as well. It is worth applying, one friends of mine applied for almost 40 positions! If you really want a PhD then keep going, a lot of supervisors out there will look for certain characteristics, rather than put too much emphasis on grades. What kind of places are you thinking of applying? Was your 2.ii from a good university? These things seem to make a bit of difference! I really would apply now because you will miss all the deadlines for funded spots if you wait until your Masters mark comes in.

C

Doing a PhD (Funded EPSRC) with a 2.ii in Biochemistry and Masters in Computer Science.

Yes it can be done, it may take a while and involve many rejections but keep plugging at it. Good references, a good C.V and cover letter helps greatly.
For me, i would agree with the user below that the previous 2.ii degree did not matter in as much as i could show i had done lots of work in the area, (programming wise) and show i was enthuisiastic about the project.

Also i could be cynical and say the position hadn't been filled for over a year it seems :D and it isn't a Russel Group+ University, but meh who cares i REALLY enjoy the work and the people I'am with, so anyway good luck anythign is possible.

Regards Wolfe