PhD with a BEng tu-tu (2:2)? Advices.

P

Hi,

I apologise in advance because it is be a bit long. I started engineering after college when the idea of doing a PhD after my degree back in Italy years ago. During my second year of university we had a big earthquake so I took a year off.

Instead of travelling around Asia I did a year course in networking at Kingston University in London. I liked the course but I realised that I am not really into networking and I wanted to carry on study engineering.

Kind run out money so I am doing a distance learning degree with the Open University full time and working part time. I did an apprenticeship this year in a subject totally unrelated (sport).

I had some major family problems and work together my grade this year are quiet low, specifically I will score a grade 4 on one courses that will lower my degree to a Lower Second Class degree. The only way I could sort this out is to do another module on top of the degree, score a distinction, and I will obtain a 2:1 but it will take me another year.

Would be better do a Master instead? It would be more expensive through but I could ask for a loan.

I know that is probably quiet silly as I faced so many issues (everybody have problems) but lately I really think I would love to carry on with the initial plan and do a PhD. So I have few questions:

1) Is it possible to be admitted to a PhD with 2:2?

2) Can you still able to be founded if you do a part time PhD?

3) Am I too old? I am going to be 25 this year and the PhD would start in Oct 2013, at 26. The age problem is really bothering me.

4) Are the career fairs useful? If so, which one do you rather is best? I have seen one that seems pretty interesting in Scotland at the beginning of Oct, I live in south England, it would be a long way up but I am happy to go if it will be illuminating.

5) Would be useful to try to be hired by the university? I mean, if I try to apply to a secretarial role during my last year and then apply for a PhD as intern, would that be easier?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Paola

L

Hi Paola,

I hope I can help, at least a little. Firstly I would recommend actually talking to a specific University. As I understand it, in the UK in general you need to have at least a 2:1 so I think you'd need to make your case to a specific department. I know at the university I'm at they sometimes let students into a Masters course with a 2:2, but I think it's on a case by case basis. I'm not sure about being funded part time, it depends on the funding body and what you apply for. I don't think you're too old, or at least I hope not because I started my PhD at approximately the same age. I also know at least three people who have started at a much older age (10+ years). I've attended careers fairs in the past and didn't find them particularly helpful as you were essentially pointed to a website to apply. I certainly wouldn't travel to Scotland for one (though Scotland is lovely!). As far as being employed by the University I can only go by what my experience and understanding is of my university, here we allow staff to take courses at a reduced cost, but the entry requirements are still the same.

Overall I'd suggest talking to a specific department/university.

I hope I've helped at least a little, as I say this is only my experience of things, other people may have different opinions.

S

OK:

1) Yes it is possible, though it can be a lot harder. Other experience helps of course. Talk to the universities.
2) Yes, it is not the most common but can definitely be done and has been by people on these boards. Contact the EPSRC. Why do it part time though? It is generally a little bit tougher as you have other things in your life and can't focus fully on the PhD.
3) No you are definitely not too old. You're younger than me and considerably younger than others on this board. Age helps actually. In my unscientific opinion it would seem that the people who struggle the most are those who came straight from uni, lack life experience and haven't developed a proper work ethic (not always true of course - it's a generalisation!)
4) Not really (in my opinion), just get applying for stuff.
5) Maybe, but probably not. If you get hired in an academic position like an RA then you can do a PhD at the same time, but it's just as if not more tough to get that position than get on a PhD.

As for the masters, it would make it far easier to get on a PhD if you had a masters, but it is not essential. Apply without and then if you get nowhere go for a masters.

Much of the funding for engineering and sciences is now focussed in DTCs (Doctoral training centres - google it). These may be your best bet. Most of them do it as a 1+3, so they have a year that is taught and then the three year PhD, essentially a masters then a PhD combined.

Hope that helps

It possible to do a PhD on a 2(ii), however, it will be next to impossible to obtain any funding.

I would suggest you do a Masters to bring yourself up to standard or look at going into the jobs market for at least two years in a roughly relevant discipline. Even then, in the latter case I would look to doing a Masters possibly by distance learning or part time. I did Masters plus works experience to make up for the fact I was only a 2(ii) myself (I made the mistake during my degree of not staying in the city where I was doing it and travelling in each day).

If you do the extra module, you need a distinction to raise yourself to 2(i). If you don't get it, in a years time you will face the same problems.

As regards age, as I started PhD at 30, I would not worry. There are people who wait until their 40s or older before starting so that's not really an issue.

Take a look at my blog, which may provide a little more guidance.

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

P

Hi,

thanks to everybody for their answers, they are really useful.

I saw that there are plenty of book that talk about the argument, did you read any of them? Did you find them useful?

Paola