PhD with integrated study and traditional PhD research

A

Hi,

I need your opinion. I'm just started my PhD study in this semester (Oktober 2007). I'm doing PhD with Integrated Study in Islamic Studies. It's a combined a full-time research and taught course, where 6 modules has to be undertaken in the first 2 years of study.

The thing is, I started to think whether it is worth for me or not to go through all the taught course and at the same time doing research which is similar to those who are doing 100% research based? Is it better for me to change to the normal research (without taught course) or to stick to PhD with integrated study which I'm doing now? I might gain something from the taught course which might help me to get ideas for my research. Yet, it's requires preparing for the assignment, class presentation and exam and at the same time starting the research study. I'm just a little bit afraid, the taught course might distract me, or even becomes an obstacle for me to continue research works.

What do you think? Which one is the best for me?
Hope to have your opinion. Thank you

H

Hi! Most people spend the first year of their PhD compiling their literature review and piloting potential methodologies and case studies. If this integrated approach enables you to consider the various literatures in the first 2 years, as well as help you to define your research area this could be helpful. Perhaps you can target your assessed papers at areas of your PhD research so you begin to write your thesis from the start of the course. Is your course popular and what is the success rate i.e. how many people complete the full PhD? If the answer is favourable, I would go with it. Sounds like you are getting an MPhil and a PhD together rather than the usual MA year and then PhD. Good luck. Also speak to your supervisor.

A

Thanks Hilligy,
As far as I concerned, this is a new PhD degree, introduced by the university. And I think, I'm the first one doing this type of degree from my department (in Islamic Studies area). Most of the students who did PhD before go for full-time research (as it had not yet been introduced before). Yes, you're right. It might be useful if the course to be taken is related to my research area, which enables me to start writing from the beginning. Yeah, I'll speak to my supervisor. Thanks again.

H

No problem. I think your feelings of apprehension are natural considering this is a new research degree. Would it be easy to change to a straight-forward PhD? Do you already have a Masters? If the answer is no to both, perhaps this new degree is an option. Good luck.

A

Hmm...I'm not that sure how's easy or difficult it is to change to the new one (if I decided to). But what I knew, I have to inform to my sponsor if I'm changing to the new course. I already had MA in Islamic Studies. I sat for one of the classes yesterday, and seems that I'm learning the same subject what I've learnt before. But in coming next semester, courses that I'm taking are something new and different. Again, it's going to be a challenge for me as I might not that familiar with the subjects. Sometimes, I thought that why should I burdened myself with all these stuffs...?I still have to write a thesis with 80,000 words, similar with those who're doing full-time research. But, yeah...don't really know whether the taught modules might be helpful for my research and for my career development in future time.Anyway, thanks for sharing your view.