Philosophical position

S

Hi all,

I'm in social sciences. I'm struggling to choose a philosophical position for my research. I felt attracted by Critical Theory and wanted to know more about it but what I'm reading is so complicated to grasp. I don't know where to start - between the theories - the 'ism' etc - can anyone help please? Thank you.

L

Hi Sega,

I was the same as you when I first started - I felt like I was trying to shoe-horn my research into any passing epistemology! Can I recommend Crotty (1998) The Foundations of Social Research as a starting point? It is very easy to read and should make things a bit clearer for you.

It also depends on your methods of course, some methods go hand in hand with particular epistemologies (e.g. ethnography and interpretivism). It's good to think about it but don't panic early on about "making it fit" - as your study unfolds and you become more experienced the right answer will come to you - I certainly found this to be the case for me. The other thing I can really recommend is doing lots of reading around your study and find out what methods other people have used, and what their epistemological position was, again this helped me no end when pinning my study and approach down.

I hope that helps :-)

S

Hi Lindalou83,

Thank you for your advice - really helpful. I will indeed go and find that book and will keep an eye on what has been done in previous studies - I'm in my early 2nd year and I need to find time to catch up.
Again thank you so much.

my only advice is that when reading these texts, you have to realise that NO ONE understands what the f*ck they're talking about. You can read 2 books on supposedly the same position, and they will argue different things. Just find a writer you understand and run with it!

R

Sneaks - I love your response! So true.

S

I think you're right Sneaks. I hope I find it in Crotty - will let you know. Thanks for your comments.
:-)