Please can I ask a question about hair? (Inspired by Satchi)

W

I'm not known as a man blessed with understanding the epitome of style, but all this talk about hair has inspired me to get a hair cut. The problem in my hairstylist is stuck in the eighties and she can only do two styles of hair cuts: short back and sides or a number one all over - and she charges £7-50. I think I'm going to go elsewhere, but before I do I need to get an idea of a contemporary and socially acceptable style of haircut.
My hair is not particularly long (so I haven't got much to spend) but it's getting to a length where it's starting to curl - it's also very thick hair too. Now, what kind of haircut could I ask for? I'm getting on in life now, so I don't want short back and sides again. I want something that bellows sophistication and that doesn't need a lot of combining or gel. I want a haircut that will keep its shape, so when I wake up in the morning I don't look like cro-magnon man. If it could make my head look longer that would be really ace too.
I've got some suggestions here (I quite like Daniel Craig's and the Asian man one): http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&sa=1&q=modern+day+hairstyles+men&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&start=0

Comment is free and suggestions are invited...:-)

I really like Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall's hair, sounds quite similar in type to yours; however, I think it is enhanced by the accompanying deliscious food, so you may need to do a lot of cooking for the full effect.

http://www.food-mag.co.uk/cpanel/newsimages/HughFW.gif

Short back and sides, a la the 80s, is currently THE haircut for the fashionable man about town, especially fetching with a curly mop top; but perhaps that's just in art schools, and the broader humanities may not be ready for that yet.

Daniel Craig is always a good aesthetic role model.

I think you first need to choose a parting style - will be it be centre, right, left or none? Will it be all brushed forward or not. My guess is that most of the styles celebs have probably need styling with gels etc and possibly straightened. I would go with what suits you rather than what is fashionable as unless you are a metrosexual its going to be a complete pain to maintain

S

hi walminskipeas
I like this one http://hairstyleschat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/modern-hairstyles.jpg
I like this because its nice and trendy. But I think you have to decide based on your head shape and face too :-)

Since you have thick hair, how bout LONG hair? If you have thick hair, this will look good.
You will only suffer the first few months because your hair growing past your nose might be irritating (!!!) but this is just for a while, and then you can tie it up, I have seen males with long hair and they look good.

But if you are balding infront, please dont have long hair.

Please post us after you have had your haircut :-) I am so curious :-)
satchi

sorry satchi, that's a boyband haircut :p

W

Thanks everyone. Satchi, apart from the short back and sides, a bit more length and lots of curling at the back, that's what my hair looks like. I'm not sure that it would suit a hair colour that is sandy with bits of blond and ginger in. Just checked and I'm definitely not balding at the front, so I could grow it longer I suppose - but definitely not for a mullet. I had one of those once, went to mate's birthday party which was at a territorial army camp and...well, not an experience I'd like to repeat. I suppose I could go for Hugh's look, Eska, as it does seem to complement chubby cheeks and a broader face. Sneaks, I'd like to go for a bit of a parting, maybe a sweep over (if that's the right term), but I've got that kind of Hugh hair that sticks up all over when I get up in the morning and it's hell trying to get it to stick back down.
Never been a trendy man-about-town before, so I'll make a careful decision (based on you excellent feedback) and hopefully make it so. Checked shirts are de-rigueur this year, and I bought one, so I'm already making a start. I'm going to be Dr Trendy-man-about-time this year, with any luck.

I've decided to take myself out of fashion completely. I figured that if I was wearing it, then it was probably out of fashion and there was no point trying :-(

S

heheheehehhee :-) :-p
me, im also always stuck with the same hairstyle
everytime I try something new, I end up growing my hair again and tying it the same way every single day!
but this time I want to hide my whites!!! Hair dye here I come!!!
satchi

C

I think you should grow it long so it looks lushiously curly and sophisticated (just below shoulder length), OR
Grow it to shoulder length and back brush it into an afro (sprout)

Satchi, that is, indeed, a boy band haircut, a particularly camp meterosexual one at that. IMO it looks like a wierd insect.

M

I would go to a hairdresser - ie. a unisex place where the people are stylists rather than barbers. This is what a couple of men I've known have done. Most seemingly women's hairdressers will also cut men. Maybe get a recommendation from a female friend or something. The stylist will talk you through the best option for your hair and show you some possible pictures etc. Then when it's done, get photos taken and you should be able to go to a barber or somewhere cheaper the next time as they'll be trimming rather than restyling. The price may be a shock after your £7.50 shearing but it's worth it for a good restyle!

W

Thanks for the input, Megra. :-) I think I'm just going to go for something longish, classy and neat. I spent yesterday looking at loads of pictures of men's haircuts to try and choose one and it, erm, gave me an inferiority complex. They all look like they should either be in a boy band or advertising Armani aftershave - not some little hill-billy who lives in a strange town on top of a hill. I suspect I'll probably have to travel a little further than to my 1980's, shoulder-pad wearing diva or a hairdresser, which is conveniently placed next to my post office, fruit and veg shop and off-licence/convenience store.

B

Whatever you do Wal, don't get rid of your curls...I watched my friend go from a head full of curly locks to him having it poker straight everyday, and it saddened me!

Saying that, my boyfriend hasn't got a curl in sight. He's got blond/mousy coloured hair and he just puts some weird stuff on it every morning (I've just asked him and it's called vo5 matt clay) which makes it spike up slighty but not in a retro Gareth Gates kind of way. It's not gel so it looks good. It literally takes him about 2 minutes and he looks gorgeous! Okay, maybe I'm biased, but he does have good hair!

Although Daniel Craig is always a good one to go off. Let us know what you decide!

M

Be thankful you've got all this lovely hair too! My fiancé is receding and spends a lot of his time examining and sighing at the two triangles on either side of his crown where hair used to be... These days he just has it very short all over to avoid it looking too thin - saves him having to purchase hair products I suppose but I'm thinking of learning to cut it for him to save the regular trips to the barber! :-) (Soon he will look like this smiley face I suppose...)

W

Going for a haircut at 3 pm! I have a picture of the haircut I want and I have enough hair to afford it. She'd better be good!