Positive ending after R&R

F

I've seen quite a few downbeat (understandably so) posts when a candidate, after working so hard for so long, receives a Revise and Resubmit decision. I thought I might add my thoughts and experience to hopefully inspire some who are in this situation to get to the finishing line.

I'll start from the start. I posted here a bit a number of years ago when I was in the early stages of my research, but haven't posted for a long time. I started my PhD studentship way back now NINE years ago. Not long after beginning my research the department I was part of expanded and they were looking for full time lecturing staff at quite short notice - I applied speculatively having no expectation of success given how early I was in my studies, but to my surprise I was appointed to one of the posts with my PhD then altered to part-time.

Trying to carry out a PhD almost from scratch whilst working as a full time academic and also being expected to conduct other research, bring in income etc. was an absolute nightmare, and so the length of time my thesis was taking was bordering on ridiculous. As my final FINAL deadline for submission was looming now about 18 months ago, I ended up rushing to finalise my write-up, produced what I knew was not my best work, and ended up literally submitting at 4.45pm on my final deadline day. I'd point out here, that for the entire duration of my PhD I had absolutely no supervision. None. I did the entire thesis and research myself with no guidance.

Fast forward a few months to my first viva. The viva itself ended up being over 3 hours long, and in terms of discussion was actually very good, in fact I think it saved me from an outright fail due to the poor quality thesis. Toward the end, one of the examiners actually outright asked me about supervision and I was honest without blaming anybody... (Continued below)

F

After a nervous wait for nearly 45 minutes outside the room after the viva I was called in. The examiners were very sympathetic and said that following the discussion we had, they felt that there was a PhD in there, but that 'the thesis isn't really a thesis is it?'. I was worried. They continued to say that there were really significant edits required to bring it close to being a PhD, but they wanted to give me the chance. They were going to give me a revise and resubmit (rather than the dreaded fail or MPhil only option), though they made it clear how much work it was going to take given that the maximum time they could give me was one year (during which I not only had to have submitted the revised thesis but also have had my second viva, so really only 10 months to actually do the thesis and submit it). They gave me a significant and focussed list of what I needed to do.

I wasn't bitter, I wasn't angry, I didn't blame my supervisor, because ultimately - what difference would any of that make? The answer is absolutely nothing. The examiners don't want you to fail, they want you to pass, and they want to help you get to that stage.

So I went home, and that day went online and bought about 15 books that they had suggested I use, and the process began. To be blunt - I worked my a**e off, especially during the summer when I realised that sacrificing one summer was a small price to pay for the long term gains. I followed the examiners requirements to the letter and really tried to give them more than they could possibly have expected. It ended up that I added close to 40,000 words to the thesis (whilst taking some other elements out and editing significantly the remainder) in the 10 months that it took, submitting my revised thesis at the end of October this year.

My second viva was yesterday... (continued below)

F

I was nervous as I gave my initial presentation (at my institution you have to give a presentation to introduce your thesis prior to the sit down viva), but went over in detail (well as much detail as you can in 15-20 minutes) what I had done and how I thought I had addressed their requirements.

The next two hours (yes, it was another two hours) were somewhat of a blur. They still had some criticisms and suggestions, of course they would as that is one of the jobs of an examiner, to challenge your thesis to see how you might defend it. The key moment came when the main examiner (I say main, it felt like he led both the initial and second viva) said that, relating to one of my new chapters for the revised thesis, he thought it was incredibly well written and he really enjoyed reading it. Not only that, but he then said that he thought I had gone way above and beyond what he had anticipated when they gave me the list of requirements exactly one year prior. I answered everything as best as I could, and was again asked to wait outside...

What would happen this time? I was nervous. I knew what I submitted in my revised thesis was much better, but was it enough?

After fifteen minuted this time, I was called back into the room to sit down.... (Final Continue below)

F

One of the examiners took the lead and told me that they were very very happy with the revised thesis, that they couldn't believe how much work I had done, and that they could see a number of potential publications stemming from it. Almost immediately he then said 'we're going to put you out of your misery straight away and tell you that you have passed and we only have two very minor corrections we'd like you to make'.

I'm still in a daze to be honest, as I can't believe after such a long journey that, save for those two short corrections which I'll do immediately after taking a break for Christmas, it's all over.

So I understand the crushing feeling of not being successful with an initial submission. I get the disappointment with the result of a viva can be horrendous. I also know what it's like to have had a lack of supervision. But you CAN do it after that, you CAN come back from it, and with good guidance from the examiners you CAN produce a better thesis and get over the finishing line. And trust me, WHEN you do, it makes your achievement feel all the more earned and deserved. I know how hard I worked to make sure I didn't let the examiners or myself down. I also know that this was entirely my own work, with no supervisor being able to claim any credit for it (and by the way, I'm not bitter about that at all - yes it was wrong, but it is what it is, I couldn't change it, and I realised that if I was big and ugly enough to be accepted onto a PhD then I was capable of motivating myself to be independent and self-sufficient enough to get the job done.).

In short - there IS light at the end of the tunnel. Just keep going. You'll do it too.

T

What an inspiring story @fatbob. Your story will undoubtedly help many who've gone (will go) through a similar experience. Well done and congrats.

E

Congratulations, and thank you for posting your story - always encouraging for those of us still struggling through revisions!

My experience so far has been similar - a lack of supervision and feedback on my thesis, combined with other pressures which meant I ended up submitting in a rush what I can now see was an inadequate thesis. Devastating to get the R&R result and essentially fail the viva (although oddly enough my viva itself went quite well, and won't need to be redone), but trying to stay positive.

Funnily enough, the discussion in the viva and the guidance I got from my examiners was exactly what it would have been helpful to have from my supervisors before submitting, but which I never got. Odd for the examiners to be more helpful and supportive than the supervisor, but I agree there's no point being angry and resentful of it after the fact.

S

Thanks, FatBob. It's really nice to hear a positive outcome from what is typically a horrendous and soul destroying journey, following a 'failed' viva. It seems that most R&R candidates post on here when they are in the depths of despair (myself included) but not so many actually post follow-up stories or positive outcomes. So, to read yours is really inspiring. Well done for what you have achieved. You have now inspired me to get up, dust myself off, and just get the f*^% on with writing my new thesis, and with making the changes that have been asked of me. Like you said, what's a few months out of your life for the long-term benefits that you stand to gain? Thank you :)

F

Thanks everyone, obviously I'm delighted, and if sharingI my experience can help with inspiration or motivation for anybody then that's brilliant.

T

Brilliant fatbob, thanks for posting. Hope this gives a ray a light to those on the R&R path.