Positive thinking !!! it works

N

greetings....

I have started this thread so we all try and feed on positive energy as opposed to dwell on all the negatives especially if you have a writing up deadline... anyone is free to join in and proclaim if they have witnessed a change in their productivity when they have focused on positive thoughts to overcome the many write up challenges.

I witnessed a change when I stopped constantly saying how much I hate the discussion chapters - I have now turned that to, I have to write it so I will make it as painless as possible and reward every little milestone....

Anyone else with mantras to share?

C

======= Date Modified 24 Aug 2011 23:35:10 =======
Hi Naturalme,

I love this thread :-x I am a very firm believer of positive vibrations and I have experienced myself very many times. In addition at this point of time (am in my final year, supposed to submit my thesis in October but have got an extension for six months with funding - still having problems like simulations crashing, work which I did some months ago were lost while reconfiguring, unreliable/inconsistent experimental results and bla bla bla.....) I am trying to totally keep my fear of failure miles away from me and I believe it is absolutely necessary at this crucial time to maintain equilibrium 8-) I am just spreading positive vibrations around me which will help me put everything in place eventually. Good luck to every one (up)

C

======= Date Modified 24 Aug 2011 19:17:15 =======
I think that, as doing the PhD put you suddenly in a situation in which you fiercely compete with other postgraduates (for funding first, then to obtain results, then to publish, etc), we often lose sight of something very important: what we learn along the way. Everything we do become routine (read boring). When, in the last few months I wondered if I would ever see the end of it, I made a point to list all the positive things that came with the PhD. That's what kept me going.

First of all (for me), having the privilege to access resources that no one else had found before. I also met people that taught me what I know now, and that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet had I not done a doctorate. I travelled and saw things that would have never been accessible otherwise.

I think, that in spite of all the odds -including a nightmare supervisor- the good outbalanced the bad. I passed my viva with minor corrections and I am very happy of course. But ultimately, what is really important, is all the above, what I learnt and what I have become in the process of doing the PhD. This is going to be part of me for the time being. I think that I am much more able to face challenges now than I was before the PhD.

So, I think that listing all the positive things that we have learnt, done and achieved along the way, may help at times of crisis. Yes, indeed we did it!

I hope I have been sufficiently positive :$

I

I think the good does outbalance the bad :)

M

I think it’s important to remind ourselves regularly what a privileged position we’re actually in. Let’s face it, doing a PhD is hardly a career move these days, but much more a labour of love. To have the luxury (especially when funded) to indulge our personal interests and spend 3 years exploring, experimenting, attending courses and conferences, having intellectually stimulating exchanges and experiences – not many people can claim that for their everyday job! And not to forget the flexibility and freedom to suit ourselves in terms of working hours, planning and progress (well, for most of us anyway…). And did I mention the odd bit of interesting travel we get to do? Yes, it’s a bit of a slog some days, and a pretty rough ride on others, but overall – come on people, how lucky are we!! 8-)

N

Hey all
Just a quick note to say thank you to corrine, cinderella, misspiggy and ingenieur for contributing to the positive vibes...

I had one more thing to add( probably not the last)- I have learnt that thinking positive is contagious and those around you soon start to feel it too. partners and pets included.

Encouragement to anyone struggling think of the bits that have gone really well and multiply them to overcome the not so great bits!!

N

greetings,

I just thought I would revive this thread ...... I have to be thankful for the power of positive thinking .. I have finally overcome the phobia of my final discussion chapter and finished it this afternoon!!! after much gritting of the teeth and wanting to scream(actually screaming at times :p ) you get the picture.. anyway it took plenty of positive affirmations and now I need a whole other round of it to get through the next three chapters of summarising my thesis :-) any positvity stories are greatly welcomed ..... we have to try something the weather gave up on us and is utter rubbish but we can try and have sunshine in our heads (up)

C

Welldone! Naturalme :-) That's great and all the best for the rest too (up)