Possible interview Q: Why did you leave your PhD?

L

So after lot of thought, I am truly closer to quitting my PhD than I ever was.

I was browsing ads, and have found an ad for a fully funded PhD project in another city. I don't mind another city that much, in fact I kind of want to start my life over somewhere fresh.

I e-mailed the professor that posted the ad and he replied immedietly and wants to fly me to this city for an interview.

The thing is he will ask me, why do you want to leave your current PhD project and start over from scratch?

What do I say?

remind us of your back story - why are you thinking of quitting?

L

It's a long story. I don't feel passionate and motivated about my project. I have made almost no progress in the past year. My main supervisor and me have a weird dynamic where I feel like he underestimates me constantly, babies me, talks over me etc. Second supervisor is overly critical and has pretty much suggested that I quit on a few occassions and I KNOW my work is not that bad. Main supervisor is also very junior, and ended up underestimating what's required of a PhD project and I almsot failed my first year upgrade as a result.

This has been building up over the past year and I just want to quit and be done with it. There is much more to this too.

The other project sounds much more interesting and is right up my alley.

Still, I need a more solid answer than that for the interview.

what about mentioning things like...

I am very passionate about research but was not fully engaged in the specific topic which I felt I was channelled into and have recently found myself fascinated with TOPIC X. Although I can work very independently I didn't feel I got the support from my supervisory team in order for me to do this.

Realistacally any supervisor is going to see through this - it may be better to tell the truth but try to remain positive about your experience - i.e. don't drag in all the negatives and try not to completely blame others

just to add - If I was the interviewer then I would be looking out for things that would worry me if you got the job, so you would need to demonstrate committment and devotion to the research, being able to work with others and independently. If you highlight these factors then it may calm any fears they have.

T

======= Date Modified 25 Nov 2009 14:01:58 =======
Perhaps focus on what you want from the PhD experience; challenges, resources, and explain that you don't feel you have enough of those things provided for you to excel in your current institute. I think sneaks is right that you need to be honesty but positive, ie - I've realised how much I enjoy the research process and I want to be in a department where I feel challenged.

They're obviously interested so be tactically honest, tell him that you're fascinated by his topic and are looking for a supervisor with more experience and a desire to push you, don't be afraid to interview him back so he sees you're serious about playing an active role. And acknowledge the step you're taking, say it's a big deal for you to start over but that you'd rather lose time now and come out having achieved research you can be proud of and build a career on.

yes say what teek says - she summed it up a lot better than me!

R

Hi Lostinoz,

perhaps it is also a good idea to make sure that you are really happy with the new project and that you are absolutely sure that it is better than your current situation. Not much use in moving from your PhD, which you are not happy with, to another research job in which you would end up unhappy again.

As such it may be good iidea to stick to you guns and really make sure that what you want is what you get. You could sell this , for example: "I am actually doing a PhD, I am quite experienced and I can stay if I want to, yet I would be pleased to work for you, so what have you got to offer?"
"For me to come over these and these conditions need to be fulfilled etc. etc. "

Just food for thought...

K

Hi there,
Probably we r traveling in the same boat ! Me also searching for a fresh PhD...
I didn't quit though, my work is now stopped due to end of contract n funds!
Well, one thing you can say is, u r quitting for personal reasons. No more explanations. If you want to give more explanations probably you can google over about the two supervisors (current n prospective) about their achievements in the field,publications, laboratory facilities, group members, funds available and extent of financial support to represent ur work in conf, meetings etc ... u can explain abt these differences too (these r the differences I lacked !)....also u can say u have no room for professional growth !
If u have excellent academic record n achievements u can say 'this is what i want to bcome (higher standards) after x number of yrs...so i can attain that position by working in that grp! Hope i didnt confuse u much......

Good luck for ur interview !

L

Thanks guys. I am thinking of approaching the interview as I came to see what the new project and supervisor have to offer and if it's better than my current situation (I certainly would be getting twice the money I am getting now too). Perhaps I can be frank and tell that this is a difficult decision to make etc and that I still haven't made it but am keen to interview and see if this is suitable for me.

I can also point out all the things I have learned during my current PhD so that it wasn't a time completly wasted.

L

BTW in an e-mail prospective new supervisor already asked why I wanted to leave my current PhD.

I replied that I want to relocate to X city for personal reasons but enjoy research and would like to continue down that track and am searching for PhD opportunities in X area.

Of course, he replied to that with "are there any research related reasons at all why you want to leave your current PhD?" while simulataniously setting up an interview. I am yet to reply to that e-mail.

K

Its not a bad answer though very convincing... but supervisor should not get an impression that you give more importance to ur personal things than ur research!(this is how my boss perceived me when I was undergoing rough times and told on my face when we had frictions !)

So better strengthen ur given statement in such a way that you don't give more importance to ur personal things than ur research!

L

Yep, I realized my "mistake" but I was keen to reply immediatly and that's what I came up with.

With his second question I am given a chance to strengthen my answer.

K

No worries. As far as I know, any supervisor will only be interested to check/see the ability of the candidate to finish PhD successfully. Others are irrelevant as long as one doesn't create problems to them.

Also you better tell the drawbacks in ur current working place, in a very polite manner, thats 'hindering ur professional growth'..its always better and helpful.