Post Doc-required to become a pharmacology lecturer?

C

Hi

Does anyone know if a post-doc is required for becoming a pharmacology university lecturer? And also my primary goal is to become a university lecturer and I've seen a PhD I'm interested in-its about investigating the pharmacology of a herbal supplement-what other areas could I teach in with it?

J

Yes, with your degree every Postdoc is required to accept a lecturer position. Two years later, your required to accept the position of School Dean, then Deputy Vice Chancellor and so on. After a minimum period of ten years you are required to accept the position of head of state, i.e. queen/king or dictator of Zanzibar.

S

I am actually Grand High Priestess of the World... and I don't have a post doc.

C

Cheers

for the sarcasm thats what I really needed. When you ask for help I hope other people treat you in the same way.

J

I don't think it's officially required, but having a post-doc will be a massive advantage.

You could also teach in Natural Products Research (also called Phytochemistry): that's what my PhD is in. It's a branch of pharmacy that looks at the isolation and identification of plant compounds, and their medicinal use. It's part of most pharmacy courses.

W

S-head, did you have cornflakes of Crunchy Nut for yer Brekky this mornin'?

S

You shouldn't need to ask a forum what you are capable of teaching, you should already be aware of your own skill set. How do we know what you have experience in???

S

It was Cocoa Pops actually

J

Sleepyhead, the poster was not yet on a PhD course, so it's understandable that he is not yet fully aware of what the course will prepare him for.

S

I agree, previous comments hugely useful......

Anyway, I think that generally you have to have completed a post-doc before you can become a university lecturer. I remeber when I was doign my undergrad degree we had some lectures given by post-docs so that might be a way to get some experience?

C

Sleepyhead-I know what I am capable of teaching what I was concerned about is how much your choice of PhD topic may pigeonhole you.

S

I taught as soon as I began the PhD, the same day as I met my supervisor I taught my first class. Teaching is rarely linked to the actual PhD project. As we all know there are hardly any hard and fast rules regarding qualifications. Shouldn't the original poster know what skills s/he has? Surely before you enter a PhD programme you find out what it involves, rather than asking a forum.

S

I don't think your choice of PhD will limit you very much at all. Generally you will be teaching the basics of pharmacology rather than the details of your projects

C

Thanks Juno and Sare-much appreciated.

Sleepyhead-Im in the process of finding out more about the PhD programme-but I dont think there is any harm in asking those more knowledgeable than myself about my concerns. Thank you though-what you said about your experience is useful to know.

J

I had Coco Pops as well.