Post-Doc

P

Well I have just got my first year report out of the way :-).

My supervisor says that.. towards the end of my PhD, she could apply for funding to create a post-doc position for me at my current university. Does anyone have any experience of this?

I have a wife/children/mortgage, and I don't really want to move, so this sounds good to me.

Also, does anyone know whether universities let post-doc people work from home? My university is 35 miles from me and in the middle of a congested/busy city, I work from home whenever I can at the moment.

R

It sounds a good offer to me - she obviously thinks highly of your research, and if she does get funding, I would imagine that negotiating working from home would depend on the project requirements. Personally that would be my ideal outcome after completion, depending on the project it was linked to, as I want to stay within my current institution. Congratulations on getting your first year report out of the way btw, it must have been a good one if that was the outcome! Why don't you just keep her suggestion in mind for now, as it's early days yet in your PhD - your research might take you in a different direction as you progress, or you might get a more interesting offer as you meet more people along the way.

P

Hey Paulknit,
Congrats on the offer....Most Post Docs have it easier than the PhDs....Also depends on what field u r in...If u have to do a Post Doc in most Sciences, u probly have to come to work in the lab.... Make sure that u talk it all with ur Prof before u decide...And if u have worked with ur Prof before , it obviously helps and also they might be more lineant towrds u...!! Gud luck with whatever u decide!!

B

It really does depend on field and your boss. My husband is a post-doc in sciences (computing) and generally works in the lab because he's working in close collaboration with colleagues. I'm disabled and have lots of care/medical needs which my husband has to help with. Fortunately his boss is very understanding and allows him to work at home quite regularly for this, to help take me to frequent hospital appointments etc. We have broadband access at home and he can keep in email and phone contact with colleagues. But this is unusual in his group. Generally they have to be in the office every day.