Post-Docs

B

All,

When do you think one should start approaching potential PI's for post-doc opportunities. I am progressing to 2nd year of my PhD in Sept and I've been toying with the idea of starting to approach PI's across the world who are working in my areas of interest and letting them know that I will be available for a Post-doc sometimes in 2012...Do you guys think that's a good idea or when should I start?

S

======= Date Modified 07 Jul 2010 11:55:08 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
it depends if you can guarantee that you won't need more time for your PhD a lot of people take a 4th year to write up!
Good luck :-)

B

Hi Sascha,

Thank you for your reply...So far everything seems to be fine for me. I've managed to have two papers under review (one as a main author and the second one as a co-author) while I have one under preparation as a main author, plus two conference abstracts with one winning the best paper at a particular conference. I do hope I can start writting up once I've progressed to a certain point in my experiments and finish on time. My supervisor so far is very very very supportive and understands that I need to finish on time. However, just crunching abit about the future and when to start knocking on PI's across the world :)

Otherwise, thank you for the reply (up)

J

I started applying for things at the start of my third year.