Post fieldwork guilt

S

My research focuses on the experiences of a marginalised group. I was really lucky to get help from an organisation to make contact with research participants. I worked as a volunteer with the organisation for two years and got really into it. The were so incredibly helpful and I loved working with them.

Since starting writing up i've just not had the same time available and haven't seen them much. If i'm totally honest I also think I needed to step away for a while because I felt too close to it all. I have explained that I am all tied up wtih writing and teaching but I keep feeling incredibly guilty. I feel like this manipulative faker who pretended to care about their cause, used them to get some research findings and then walked away. I know this is probably quite irrational. I mean it's not like I should be involved every day for the rest of my life but I keep thinking it.

Has anyone else experienced these sorts of feelings after leaving the field?

Yes. A bit of a different situation but one of the groups (8 participants to be exact) from my two groups or sets for case studies, to some extent come under the vulnerable category. They were really keen to participate, and shared very honestly some difficult experiences. I used to work with them supporting them in my previous role at the College where I work. I now have a new role where I have much less to do with this group in the present role (as it should be-too mucky otherwise-in terms of research and power relationships) and have not contacted them since having collected the majority of my data.

Once I am sure that I don't need any more data, I plan to send out thank you cards and a brief update of where the thesis is at-and I do plan to share with them general key findings and plans for further action, if this (Masters) thesis generates further research, pilot projects, etc. Presently, it is looking very likely that it will lead to further research-provided I get it finished. So I am hopeful that I will be able to share with them that some action may well result from their data and knowledge-even if it just a small scale project.

But in the meantime, I look at my data and 'hear' and read their concerns and worry occasionally like you. I shared my concerns with my supervisor who was really helpful and suggested that results were promising and a pilot project stemming from the thesis definitely looked like it was on the cards-that has really helped me. I am able to see the bigger picture and how the interviews might prove helpful-I plan to share this on my thankyous and follow-ups with the participants. I think that it will be fine and this has helped me not feel terrible guilty. The supervisor was also helpful in letting me 'get' that my role as researcher was quite different and would not feel comfortable at first. I was more comfortable as a 'helper' or service provider. Hope this is helpful to you and doesn't hijack your post too much-just thought it might help with perspective.

K

Hey Slowmo! Yes, I think I understand what you mean. I only see my participants (people with Alzheimer's) a few times but even in that short time I get quite close to some of them and it feels bad to hear about all of the really awful things that some of them are going through, collect my data, and then just sort of say goodbye. It feels bad in one sense too because there is not an awful lot I can do about some of the problems they are having, although having links to various services I have been able to offer indirect support in a few cases. A lot of them ask me if I will go and see them again, and sometimes it helps if I point them in the direction of further research with people with Alzheimer's that is going on in the department that they would be able to participate in and therefore maintain the contact with the university, which a lot of people seem to find beneficial. I am hoping that in the end I can use my data to design and trial an intervention for a post-doc project, so at least that way it would offer something for them and more ongoing support. I have also felt bad leaving voluntary work placements with people with mental health problems too when I have had to move on, I think it just shows that you really care. It is hard not to get very involved when you are working with people who really value your input, so I think what you are feeling is probably natural. At the same time, you shouldn't feel like you have to keep having the same level of input, that's not realistic at the end of the day. Would you be able to maybe just visit on special occasions now and again just to keep in touch, if you feel that you would like to? Or keep in touch in other ways, by sending letters to let them know how you are doing and how your research is going? I'm sure they appreciate that you are really busy and would be really pleased to hear from you in this way if you felt that it might be appropriate. But don't feel guilty- you haven't just used them- it sounds as though you really care about your work with them and of course your research will hopefully help in the long-term even if not directly for this particular group. Try to keep that in mind. Best, KB