Post interview purgatory

D

======= Date Modified 19 Jan 2011 12:13:17 =======
So I've just had my 3rd PhD interview of the past few months, I have offers from the other two, but this is the one I really want, the flipside is that it is also the most competitive *sigh*. Sufficed to say the interview was pretty brutal - it started off with the usual fare of 'why do you want to do a PhD?', 'why here?' and some standard academic questions around my MSc project and how it might be extended, followed by a series of brutal not-in-my-primary-discipline academic questions that included leading and trick questions that I feel for hook, line and sinker in about 50% of cases. The other candidates were also intimidiatingly well placed from what I could glean of their backgrounds.

Therefore I am now in post interview purgatory, awaiting the conclusion with bated breath and pointlessly beating myself up about some of my poorer answers. I just wanted to start this thread of shared suffering to see if anyone else was in the same position?

D

Man, I didn't get it. Rubbish. Thing is I now don't even know if I want the other ones. I feel deflated.

D

I'm sorry to hear that. Not sure what to say except keep trying.

C

Sorry you didn't get it.

Take a day off, eat some cake, then tomorrow try and remember why you wanted to do a PhD in the first place.
Do either of the other places offer you what you want out of a PhD experience? - remember this is only one stage of your career - it isn't the whole thing. Do some pro/con lists. Think about what you enjoy in research and what it would be like to do it for three years (no matter where you go - even big projects- won't be perfect and interesting the whole time).
And remember - you got two offers to do PhD's! most people in the country aren't good enough to get that, most people who do Masters level courses aren't good enough to get that.
Don't throw away your talent on one highly competitive project - highly competitive means that, it doesn't mean you aren't any good.

Cobweb

D

Wow, thanks cobweb - that's very kind advice. After the initial disappointment I am now feeling much better (it was the cake that done it). I think your advice of making a pro-con list is pretty sound and something I am going to try and sit down and do this evening.

A

hey dove

wana figure it out together? I'm in the same position as you! ;) DITTO

E

I know that feeling all too well! I'm an undergraduate applying for PhD. I've had 4 interviews in the past 3 months, been declined by 3 waiting for the 4th declined email from my 4th interview.

It's very annoying, as I got through to day 2 of a 2-day interview and got so-close to getting it (2 people interviewing for each place). I was declined the day after. I emailed asking for feedback on my interview, the reply was basically "Good interview, but nerves got in the way of communication". Very annoying, aren't people meant to be nervous in panel interviews?

Nevermind, September is 8 months away so hopefully we'll sort something out. I know a guy who started applying for PhD in June 2010 and after 9 interviews got a PhD to start in September 2010.

Just keep smiling :)

A

hi elmo what was your 4th intervoew like and what subject was it? just askin cos i have another intervew and just wana make sure i prepare well ;)

E

I've found that questions vary so much between institutes. My 4th interview, you could tell that the women on the panel was playing the bad cop whereas the chair was playing the good cop. She was evil! She put down everything I said such as my work experience outside of my research work. Know the background to your research work, try not to forget names (I'm terrible with names both of people and diseases). My 3rd interview asked me about the ethics of IVF, and my 2nd interview asked me neuroscience questions (which i haven't a clue about!). Ensure that your answers are prefect (so they can't pick you up on mistakes).

I'd say, don't get too nervous. I suffer with anxiety and it affects my speech when I'm really on the spot, which was the reason i was declined by the third place I interviewed at. And smile even if you think the interview is going down the plug hole!

A

Dear Elmo

Have you been accepted or rejected for the 4th interview? and how long did they take to make their decision in all your Phd interviews especially the 4th one?

Im askin cos I gave an interviewa nd they said they need a week to decide. I'm wondering what takes them so long to decide? If a candidate is that good in interview shouldnt they make their decision the same day as the interview?

Whats your plan now if you dint get this phd?

E

Hi, found out yestursday that I'd been declined. I got the same excuse as the others "This year was a highly competitive year, and i'm afraid we're unable to offer you a studentship on this occasion". But I'm an undergraduate with research, publishing and conference experience and my supervisor has said I should have a good chance, but i don't know I'll have to wait and see!

NIMR said they'd get back to us within a week, but i found out within a day of my panel interview. Cambridge took over a month to decide! Warwick told me the monday after I was interviewed (I interviewed on a wednesday so).

I'm going to keep applying, I know someone who graduated last year couldn't get a BMS job so applied for funded PhD positions in June and got one for Sept/Oct start!

I get the feeling that people who would have normally joined the graduate job market are applying for PhDs because they can't get the work! Wasn't science research spending saved from the cuts?

Keep us posted!

D

Hi Elmo. I have much the same suspicion as you regarding the number and quality of applicants to studentships this year being high due to the situation in the job market (although maybe that's just me attempting to justify my mixed success). In one of my interviews I had the chance to meet and chat with some current PhD students in the department aswell as some of the other applicants I was competing against - without being too harsh, the applicants this year came from top institutions, had publications under their belt and various other relevent experience which many of the already attending students did not.

E

I actually have some positive news, I have been offered a 4 year PhD at University of London. Interview was at 2, and I was offered it by 3:30. I'm over the moon. Just keep trying and something will come up- don't lose heart! :-)

A

Congrats Elmo! Go you know if you're going to end up taking the University of London position? I'm asking because I too am starting a PhD at the Univ of London in October (mol. cell biol).

E

Yes I am accepting it, I'll ring the supervisor on Tuesday and accept the offer. I just need to make sure I get the 2.1 required. Which college are you starting at?