Post viva and working minimum wage :(

P

======= Date Modified 16 Nov 2011 14:58:29 =======
Hey all,

Forgive me, but I'm feeling a little blue today. Just got back from my first day on my new job and feel like crying :(

I recently started a part time job for minimum wage supporting older adults in a community care facility. I'm desperate for some money and this was the only sort of job I could obtain.......how depressing is that! This job would be great experience working with people and should help with my psychologist career plans (I hope!). There are some good points to the job- ie I enjoy chatting to the residents, but I wasn't prepared for some of the job description tasks.

I feel bad for complaining considering unemployment rates, but at the same time I'm finding this all very soul destroying. Have a put myself through years of postgraduate study and PhD stress just to obtain a minimum wage job!?

No jobs at my university- or at least that's what I'm told.

Anyway, just wanted to vent....

:-(

D

Well, sometimes it's good to vent and get things off your chest!

I know it's small consolation, but you can't take the minimum-wage-job-situation personally considering the state of the global economy. It's not a reflection of your ability. There are so many people like you who invested a lot of time and hard work (not to mention money) on a good education, only to find themselves unemployed, or underemployed. That said, it's important to stay positive that things will turn around. I wonder if there are any professors at your uni whom you could approach about assisting with their research. You said that there are no jobs at your university, but many professors do consulting work on the side, and sometimes need help with organizing data and editing.

You also might consider starting a research project of your own, looking at an issue important to your field that you can examine at the adult community care facility - perhaps a case study. Why not use the job to get a couple of articles published? Not only will that boost your CV, but it might help your morale while working there. I know it doesn't pay the bills, but it's constructive use of your time. (Of course, you would have to go through getting permission, but you know how to do all that already!)

Just a few ideas...hope it's helpful!

S

Hi Pineapple,

Just wanted to say 'you're not alone'!! After being turned down by over a dozen supermarkets and shops (yes, I am very desperate!), I decided to apply for the job I used to have after I finished my degree and I got it (no surprises there). I was well chuffed to start with as, like I mentioned, I was desperate for the money but after 2 weeks, I just felt miserable. To be honest, I started feeling miserable after about 3 days. I know I am not, but I felt like a failure, like everything I had worked for in the past several years had been in vain... also, the team has changed completely so they've been treating me like an idiot even though I've mentioned my past experience there (but not my qualifications).

In the end, I had to give notice after being there for only 2 weeks. They've let me cancel a few shifts and even though I still need to go in for another couple of weeks I feel much lighter.

I still haven't got a job in my area, but I've been able to get a job in a restaurant. Admittedly, far from ideal, but at least I know I will earn more per hour as I get to keep my tips... was this a good move? I don't know, I haven't started but I know I'm much happier. I also know I can't afford not to have a job so this was a compromise for me, where I'm still officially on minimum wages but unofficially earning more.

I don't think you should feel bad about complaining, it's ok not to like a job! Could you perhaps see it as a 'temporary situation'? I wonder if you could get something else instead? I know employment is difficult right now and I don't mean any grand jobs, just something that you'll enjoy more.

I hope you're ok. It's not an easy place to be and having a phd (or about to get one), to me, right now is a disadvantage because I'm applying for jobs I'm overqualified for and not even gettting interviews. When I do, they actually make stuff up or distort what I've said during the interview, etc.

I hope you feel better soon.

D

I went through that experience of getting turned down for supermarket cashier and shelf-stocking jobs, as well! Temp agencies also gave me a hard time over clerical jobs. Like you, I found it hard to tone down my CV without leaving huge gaps, and inconsistencies. Most of all, they think you're going to leave as soon as something better comes along!