Post viva- tackling thesis corrections

P

======= Date Modified 30 Jul 2011 22:03:59 =======
Hi forum,

Well after very little success with the job market, I've decided to throw myself into my thesis. Ideally, I would like to finish my PhD before Christmas- even if it means locking myself away for a few months.

Although I received a major corrections / resubmission outcome without a secondary viva(which is what I wanted, I assumed an outright fail or an MPhil), I'm finding it very difficult to focus on my thesis!

Living in post viva land is very strange indeed! I've spent the last few years really worrying about failing my viva. Now I'm on the other side of the viva fence, I feel a little empty as I no longer have the all to familiar viva worries! It's almost as if worrying and preparing for my viva became a part of me! I'm also struggling to process the positive feedback from my examiners. I really wasn't expecting it! Also wondering if I'm residing in some strange dream world, ie imagining positive feedback when in reality they grilled me alive (Oh dear, I may need some help!).

I also feel like a mediocre PhD student in comparison with other PhD students in my department who have their vivas coming up. I haven't published any of my thesis findings, whereas their supervisors are constantly pushing them to publish articles and present at conferences. I haven't heard anything from my university since my viva in June- so I'm feeling very isolated and alone! :( It feels like my university has washed their hands of me :( I know I'm not a 'mediocre PhD student because I managed to get through my viva with a relatively good outcome (for me) and received such positive feedback from my examiners. All in all, I think I've got some real problems with accepting positive feedback!

Anyway, back to the point, does anyone have any tips on pulling through this final hurdle? Most of my corrections involve cutting everything down and adding some recommendations.

Thanks for reading
:-)

B

======= Date Modified 30 Jul 2011 22:10:10 =======
Do you want the PhD? If so get on with the corrections. You won't get it unless you do this. And since you're facing a resubmission - not just corrections - make sure you do them to the very very last specification from your examiners.

I am assuming you have received the examiners' report detailing what has to be done. That is essential if you are to do the corrections properly.

I'm afraid I have little sympathy with the feeling alone feeling. I was virtually on my own throughout my 6-year part-time PhD, being mostly housebound due to severely disabling neurological disease. And I managed. It's perfectly possible to manage.

But you need to get on with that resubmission ASAP. And I would have thought - based on what you said - it should be possible to finish it long before Christmas if you are not working.

Oh and draw up a list of what needs to be done. Break it down into sub-tasks. Then pick them off, one at a time, in order of most appealing or least unappealing.

D

I can't better that advice from Bil. It has to be done and so no point in putting it off. Get it done, collect your PhD and look forward to the future!(up)

A

======= Date Modified 31 Jul 2011 09:02:11 =======
I can imagine how the release from the stress in the lead up to the viva makes it hard to focus right now. Still, if it were me, I would give myself a serious self-imposed deadline, put the head down and do it. Just think, by Christmas you could be done and start the new year with a clean slate. Plus you will be able to update your CV to that effect. I know you've been having difficulities in the job search market - join the club :-( - and have been thinking of dropping your PhD from your CV but I think to have it done, dusted and just listed on your CV [in whichever terminology you chose to use] will help convince employers that you are a person moving on.

Put up a calendar whereever you work, mark a date mid-December and work back from that with the tasks divided into a multitude of sub-tasks as Bilbo suggests. What I probably would do is aim to be finished about a week before the deadline to tidy up a few loose ends. Also, if people ask you when you'll be finished, state the date, not some looser 'about Christmas'.

Good luck Pineapple:-)

P

======= Date Modified 31 Jul 2011 09:45:56 =======
Thanks everyone, helpful as ever.

Considering viva stress, I needed some real time away from my thesis.

After a break, I'm feeling motivated to complete this thesis once and for all. The sooner I finish this, the sooner I can break free from these thesis chains. I guess I needed a virtual slap or 'kick up the bum' to get me moving! I don't want this thesis looming over my head in 2012, so I intend to finish everything before January 2012 (I don't want to be working on my thesis once I've hit 31!).

Apologies if I'm coming across as a lazy and apathetic individual. In general, I'm actually very motivated and dedicated sort of person, but given the hurdles I've faced along the way, my motivation, patience and resilience has taken a real knock! My thesis and PhD journey has always been an uphill struggle, so I think it's understandable I'm feeling a little apprehensive and reluctant to return to my thesis.

Anyway, main motivational factor= finish the thesis asap, then onwards to freeeeeeeeeeedom!!!!!!!!!! 

I know my PhD will open up new opportunties so the sooner the better really! Wishful thinking, but I hope the job market picks up soon! For now, I'm going to omit my PhD from my CV and continue with my voluntary work in the meantime. Hopefully I can start some relevant part time work soon.

;-)

C

Hi Pineapple29! I am sure that people do not perceive you as a lazy person at all. Tiredness, stress, and the wish to move on quickly, are perfectly understandable.

Also, every person, every PhD, and the amount of work and effort involved, is different. I agreed with my husband before the viva that if I had major corrections to carry out, I would have taken the MPhil. Nothing to do with being lazy, my personal situation would not allow me to focus on the thesis for another year. I was lucky, and I was given minor corrections, and I am already tackling them.

I think that having a tight but realistic plan to finish by the beginning of the New Year must also help you to look forward to it, and think about the long-term future.
:-)

P

======= Date Modified 10 Aug 2011 07:32:59 =======
Ok- I seem to have found some motivation to finish this thesis. I want to remove these shackles more than anything! My plan- to finish for December 2011. I have until June 2012 but I would like to finish it this year.

On another note, I have just received an offer for a place on a Professional Doctorate in Health Psychology ;-) (at my first choice university) which will start in September, so I've got an added incentive to finish my PhD asap. For now, I'm focusing on the part time option which will be 1/2 days per week dedicated to health psychology training. I will change to full time status once my examiners are happy with my PhD thesis corrections.

Although I'm receiving a lot of criticism from others (especially in relation to starting something new before finishing my PhD) I really need to focus on my ultimate career plans, develop new skills and start something new. I started this PhD in 2006 and for my own sanity, I want to start something that interests me, opens up a big career option as a Chartered Psychologist and start something new. Others have started Professional Doctorates in Psychology during the final stages of a PhD, so I know it can be done. The Prof Doc is very different from a PhD as it focuses primarily on demonstrating skills in different work placements, so I'll be integrating myself within the work place as a trainee health psychologist whilst moving towards my preferred career path as a Chartered Psychologist (rather than a postdoc researcher).

But for the meantime, other than my voluntary work, I'm just going to focus on getting this PhD finished asap before September kicks off.

Thanks for the support everyone.

E

Hey Pineapple29, just wanted to say I know exactly what you mean about feeling unmotivated with major corrections and resubmission! In my case it's been a huge challenge to my mindset - I was given to understand that I'd have minor corrections only and it was a massive blow to my confidence. The temptation is always strong to just throw the hands up and go, "To hell with this!" So just wanted to say good luck and I hear you! This process SUCKS and it's fine to know in theory that there's nothing else for it but to get the head down, do the work, and move on, but in practice it's very difficult to summon up the enthusiasm for something that you thought would be done and dusted by now. Eyes on the prize, I guess, and keep slogging on! I'm also going for PhD or bust by the end of this year :-)

K

======= Date Modified 12 Aug 2011 10:22:43 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*edited by moderators- inappropriate content*