Postdoc application question

S

I'm applying for a postdoc in the UK, the application gives a list of 'Essential criteria' and requires that I detail "point-by-point how you meet the essential criteria". Fine so far. But I'm running into problems with a few of them. For example, one criterion is that I have experience in the "practical application of qualitative research methods including qualitative data analysis", then the next on the list is that I have experience in the "practical application of qualitative research", I really don't know how these are different! If I have experience in using qualitative research methods, then surely I have experience in doing qualitative research? Or am I missing something? It goes on. The next criterion is that I have experience in the "practical application of focus group research and qualitative data analysis". Help! Any advice on what to do here?

P

just fill the form focusing on the area that they ask on the specified filled even though it might be experience gained from one project.

S

I'm sorry but I still don't understand how to fill this in. I don't understand how I can give a diifferent answer for my experience of:
"practical application of qualitative research methods"
and
"practical application of qualitative research".
It looks to me that I should give exactly the same answer for these. Should I? Should I copy and paste?

A

Could practical application of qualitative research mean experience of taking findings from qualitative research and applying them in a practical situation?

Yes. Yes it does.

S

Thanks AislingB, that's what I think "practical application of qualitative research" means too. But what then does "practical application of qualitative research methods" mean?

I don't see how I can give different answers for application of qualitative research methods and application of qualitative research.

I have to, by default, use qualitative research methods to do qualitative research.

R

Hi Shoulder,

Maybe you could start your response to one of the points in question in that manner. Another option could be to group the related/duplicated responses together. I.e. 'practical application of qualitative research/practical application of qualitative research methods including qualitative data analysis', and then give a really detailed response that covers each of these aspects.

S

Thanks, that's a good idea, I suspect what happened here was a bit of over-eager copying and pasting and a lack of proofreading by HR.

S

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice on this. I had a huge rush to get it submitted in time. I'll tell you why, because it may serve as a note and a warning to others submitting applications. I was using an online application form, if you've ever used one of these you'll know that typing large amounts of text into those boxes is fiddly. So I wrote my text in a word document, and planned to copy and paste it into the little online text box. However, when I came to do the copying and pasting, a message appeared telling me:
"20563 characters entered (max 7500).
You have exceeded the maximum number of characters allowed. Please revise your answer"
So I had to (very quickly, I was approaching the deadline) cut two-thirds of my text away!
So guys, take it from me, check if there is a word / character count on your online forms!