PostDoc in history: any website?

E

Hi everybody.
Just wondering if you can give me a website where I can find postdoc positions in history.
I am finishing a PhD in Pharmacy, but I'm tempted to switch to something completely different, like history of pharmacy or chemistry.
Thanks for your help.
Marco

B
C

======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2010 20:55:16 =======
======= Date Modified 09 Mar 2010 20:50:05 =======

I have experience of the history of science field. Bleak news I am afraid, like in others areas of history there are precious few postdocs. I have seen two history of science postdocs advertised in the space of a few months, and been rejected from both. You might have some success developing a postdoc application with an institution (approach them, somewhere like CHSTM Manchester, or the Wellcome insitutes at UCL etc) and seek to put a funding proposal with them via the Leverhulme or Wellcome Trust, or AHRC. It seems to me that if you could decide what aspects of pharmacy and history you would want to do, you stand a strong chance of developing a strong proposal to get W or L money. Esp. given your science background which will be an asset.

Alternatively institutions like the MPIWG in Berlin (Max Planck Institute for the History of Science) also advertise for postdocs as well as accept proposals at anytime for unadvertised funded postdocs of a few months +

On the positive note, historians of science often come from the humanities - and as such with a PhD in Pharmacy you have a background of considerable interest to departments. Also, as there is an interest in histories of phamaraceuticals, neurology, genetics etc as a growing field, it would seem you are looking at the right time... I have met a number of historians of science in their early careers with backgrounds in physics, genetics, psychiatry, and with medical doctorates to it is def a plausible route.

Edit: you might find it useful to email HPS Cambridge (History and Philosophy of Science, Cambridge) and add yourself to their email list. Most, if not all, of the History of Science jobs in UK, Europe, and the wide world are advertised in their emails...

Best of luck.

E

Nothing to say... thanks for helping.

S

======= Date Modified 10 Mar 2010 09:33:45 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
http://www.findapostdoc.com/