Postdoc position is a little daunting...

A

Was anyone else overwhelmed when they started being a Postdoc? I’ve just started my new role after a very quick writing up/submission/viva period (wrote up my thesis in 2 months, submitted, had the viva 2 weeks later – very, very tiring). I had to do this in order to obtain this position, which is a good one (good university/group etc.). In regards to the work, I’m doing something which does use a lot of the knowledge I gained from my PhD but in a new area, hence I have a steep learning curve ahead of me and it’s quite scary. I naively thought that post-PhD I’d have more confidence than this... Did anyone else feel this way after their PhD?

Andy

p.s. I’ve started this position in a new country as well hence, it’s a bit of an adventure...

J

which country?

A

USA

J

Oh dear. Well, good luck. I can see where you're coming from, probably aggravated by the fact that some of them appear to look down on non-US Ph.D degrees. Remember, in any job there is a steep learning curve, you've achieved something really big with your Ph.D completion, that should give you an inner feeling of satisfaction and confidence. After a year or so things will get better.

J

Perhaps I may add my congratulations for achieving your PhD completion under such immense pressure and gaining a very competitive position in the USA. You've done really well so another reason to be confident and proud of yourself.

A

Thanks

S

Oh - oh - did someone mention POSTDOC..... oh -oh I feel faint. Must lie down.........

So it's true - postdocs really do exist over the rainbow?

L

andy ... can you tell me which university and which field and
how much they pay you ? thanks