Postdoc positions in US

A

Hi,

I'm in my second year of my PhD in Biochemistry and starting to think about what I want to do when I finish. I'd really like to get a postdoc position, and I'd also like to spend some time working in America. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a postdoc position in America with a UK PhD (I know the American PhDs are much longer than the UK ones) and whether the competition is too high to make this likely?

Also, for UK post doc vacancies there are websites like findapostdoc.com and jobs.ac.uk. but these don't really have jobs in the US, does anyone know of any similar websites listing vacancies in the US?

Thanks

J

It's not that easy. As you said, UK PhDs are unfortunately rated as somewhat inferior to their US counterparts due to the shorter lenght of registration and study as well as the lack of taught elements over here. So, finding a Postdoc position is the first hurdle in conditions of fierce competition.

The second problem is immigration, depending on your nationality, it might not be possible at all or only if you are successful in the Greencard lottery.

Overall, chances are slim to make this happen, in my opinion. But I think there are some UK people on this forum who did it, just can't remember the names. A forum search might be helpful or Google.

A

Hi jouri,

Thanks for your reply, I thought that would be the case. I'm British, so I don't know whether that makes any difference to the green card thing? Does anyone know if getting a job means the employer can sponsor the applicant making the immigration less of a problem?

Perhaps it's worth contacting the human resources dept at a uni I'm interested in to see what their policy is.

S

Hi Amy

All is not lost!

Your PhD is as valid in the US as it is here

I got one (in fact I got offered 2 one in Texas and one in Virginia)
Admittedly I targeted people in my specific field at a conference which made it easier so they knew my skills were useful to them. Another current post-doc in our lab has also just got one in LA - in a diffeerent field. Oh and another PhD has just been vivad and taken a position in Richmond - its almost like they can't get enough of us

To be honest I think its about what you can offer, target specific labs or jobs that relate to what you are good at and you'll have as much chance as anyone

S

As for visas - easy peasy - you have a choice of J1 or H1-B visas that will last you up to 5 years - usually your employer will pay for these. I had my visa interview 2 days ago and there was no problems whatsoever - and my wife gets to come to which might prove to be a bonus or not.

Starting pay is not great between $35000-$40000 - but you are going for the expereince anyway - who needs money?

anyway

Good luck - don't give up

S

I think you will find it easier if you

S

I'm an ex-biochemist and most of my contempories went to the US for a postdoc (one never came back) after their PhD. It was definitely seen as the next thing to do and not that difficult.

O

I am not familiar with your field, but I think generally speaking the US holds a UK PhD in high regard. There is a certain "sparkle" to a foreign degree in the US.

T

I hope so...

A

Hey sjo4,

Thanks for the info, it's very encouraging to hear. It's definitely the experience not the money I'm after, otherwise I wouldn't be wanting to work in science or universities!

Do I find a job somewhere and then worry about a visa, or does getting a visa sorted first make it easier to get a job? I've noticed in some job adverts that the right to work in the USA is one of the requirements.

I'm glad to hear that spouses can come too...I'm sure you'll be glad your wife is there with you once you're there!

Thanks
Amy

S

as far as I'm aware you pretty much need the job offer to be able to apply for the visa anyway, the other post doc in my lab got the job offer and visas done in about 1 month so it can be fairly rapid.
I was told for what I'm doing that I couldn't apply independantly for the visas and the Uni had to do it - which was no skin off my nose.

As for the right to work in the US, it really depends what they mean? - it might be, in these cases they are trying only to target US citizens to avoid this. But essentially you are entitled to work in the US, you just need a visa to do it. You will get at least a J1 visa no problems if you have passed your viva because you have specific qualifications that are required etc. etc

S

As for spouses, there are some complications and you have to get it right, spouses don't have the right to apply to work (under a J2 visa) until they enter the country -
this process can take up to 60 days before they can work - although the uni assures me it can be done quicker - which is a bummer because my wife has a job offer as well and it pays about double what I get.

Once you get to the visa stage, put a post on here and I'll make sure you get the right forms because the US embassy website is garbage at telling you what forms need done by you!

As for the jobs, the only way to find out would be to apply - the worst they can say is no!

Good luck with it all

S

A

Hey sjo4,

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. It will be next year I start applying for jobs, but if you're still about I'll put a post up.

Thanks
A

S

yep - there is no real point in doing visa stuff until that point

Focus on getting written up but at the same time speak to anybody with an American accent at conferences and you'll be fine

Good luck with it - remember its never to early to start your write up - get planning chapters etc now and you'll be finshed in no time

S