Postgrad application with 2:2 and long time since left uni!

M

Hello Everyone,
I wonder if anyone can offer any advice? I want to apply for a part-time Masters in the Archaeology/Ancient Languages area, but I suffer from the double whammy of:
1) Having left Uni in 2004 so none of my tutors will remember me.
2) Only got a 2:2 (Archaeology)
I have recently completed an undergraduate module in Akkadian, so I suppose I could ask the tutor on that module for a ref (and he will be a tutor on one of the courses I want to apply for) but as it has been language work, it isn’t like he can really comment on my ability to whack out a decent essay (although I got a 2:2 that was pretty much all to do with penalties for late submission-my essays were all 65-70% before deductions). Hopefully the Akkadian module will at least show that I am committed to future studies in that area.
The only other thing I can mention as evidence of further study (and I am really scraping the barrel) is that I am a part-qualified accountant which I have achieved through home study since my degree, which I suppose at least shows some application and that I have improved my time management and can handle full time work + study. Any work reference would only be finance related (I am a university accountant strangely enough!)
I have thought about doing a PG cert type thing, but that’s just more money (be a squeeze as it is)
I am sorry for waffling. Am I just stressing, and should I just get on apply and see what happens? Or not bother?!
Any advice/comments much appreciated
Thanks very much!
(By the way, just wanted to say what a great forum this is. The first thing I do at lunchtime is have a cuppa-soup and check the latest posts!)

J

I wouldn't worry about it being 6 years since you left uni - that is not long in most people's lifetimes. I went back to do my MA more than 10 years after graduating (haivng qualified as an accountant in the meantime) and then when I did my MSc 7 years after that the course director (who I got on very well with) had died just after we completed. I rang the universty registry up asked for advice and they were really helpful. The uni will have records and to be honest personal stuff in references is less important than grades etc. If you are applying for a taght postgrad then I would have thought a 2.2 will be fine (and you have demonstrated interest by taking the short course) - less sure if you are looking for a PhD place.

I wouldn't major on the part qualified accountant - if I saw that on an application I would want to know why you haven't qualified (too hard for you, no sticking power etc). (Sorry!)

I'd focus in your personal statement on how you will balance working and studying and why you are interested in the course.

M

I would say go for it! I left uni in 2001 with a 2:2 and I got accepted without interview on a Masters course in 2007 at a very reputable university. A Desmond is not the end of the world (unless you want to do Clinical Psych).

I did not return to education in any form in those interim years but my work experience counted for a lot in the end and it wasn't in the area that I graduated in. I did my MA part-time too and then I went on to another degree and now I'm FINALLY on my phd.

So. Go for it!;-)

M

======= Date Modified 30 Sep 2010 13:58:15 =======
Double post

M

Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful. Just wanted to say I am still actively studying accountancy-I am basically hoping to finish in this next coming year before I start any Masters, but I think you are right and there is not much point mentioning it

Cheers!

F

======= Date Modified 30 Sep 2010 22:07:28 =======
18 months ago I was in your position, applying for an MSc in Neuroscience and thinking that with the 2:2 which I gained back in 2003 I didn't have a hope in hell. Two weeks ago I got a Pass with Merit... The six years out of academia made more of a difference than the grade, and all that meant was that I had to attend an interview when most applicants didn't. This was for being from "an unusual background", and in my case this was because the admissions staff wanted to know why I was quitting a high-paying career in PR to return to a low-paying career in academia. I think this just counted as proof of my commitment and showed that I was serious about making a career change. On starting the course I realised I wasn't the only one making a career change after years away from the lab, and far from the only one who'd worried about "only" having a 2:2...

I learned that a 2:2 is not a barrier at all so go for it, and good luck!

C

Ancient languages sounds amazing - and I think it is so cool you took a module in Akkadian! :) That will really help an application - just go for it! Good luck!

I get strangely happy when I find out people learn ancient or languages with few speakers :) I thought I was pushing it learning languages spoken by 9 million / and 400,000!!

Good luck!!!

J

If you are part qualfied becuase you have not yet finished then that is a completely different story. I would put it in but give a date for compeltion then people won't assume you have given up :-)

J

and on a bit of a tangent - i never know what to put about my accountancy qualification - because I couldn't' justify the membership fees I let my membership lapse when I became and academic so technically I am not a qualified accountant but if I say I am an ex-accountant then that conjures up thoughts of being stuck off (which is not quite the idea I want to give).  I tend to say I qualified as an accountant and leave it at that.

K

Hey! I'm a completely different subject (psychology), but plenty of people got on my MSc with a 2.2. The unis make so much money out of the masters courses that they tend to be very flexible about who they let on, and even though the entry requirement might state a 2.1 they'll probably let on people with a 2.2. I really wouldn't think it would be a problem, unless it is a really competitive masters with a very limited number of places! Good luck! KB