Potentially Stupid Question

E

Just started considering a PhD so forgive my ignorance...BUT Ive found a research project on here which would really suit me and im completing the application form. Thing is its asking for my Research Proposal. Do you/did you submit a research proposal where the project parameters are already outlined? If so, what did you include?

Thanks

S

hi elindis! its not a stupid question at all! if the project parameters are already outlined, you still have to write the research proposal following these outlines and include anything else that would contribute to the project.
Another thing you can do is write to your potential supervisor and ask him! (this is what I did)

:-) satchi

A

hi elendis
satchi hit the nail on the head there, the supervisors give an outline of the project as this is primarily what they want to work on, but you need to show them that you can take an idea and run with it. i.e. you can build a project around those parameters and include some of your own stuff to show initiative, original ideas etc and also to show that you understand where they are coming from and how this project fits into the grander scheme of things, for the supervisors, the uni and the field as a whole! It can be actually really difficult to do this, so good luck!

Hey Elindis,

I hope this doesn't confuse you, but I want to differ from the other two posts.  I think it depends on your field, but in my experience (biomedical science), the application form is generally a generic one, and if the project has already been specified, you could either leave the "Research Proposal" bit blank or, perhaps better, write in it that the proposal has already been made by your supervisor.

However, as the other two have already said, the best thing would be to ask your supervisor, who should definitely know what you're meant to do.  At least I'd hope so!

E

I never had to write a research proposal for any of my applications (life sciences) - if there was a generic postgraduate application form I just left that section blank (or put a brief note explaining why it wasn't applicable). Not sure what area you're applying for, but in the sciences it's certainly rare to have to write a research proposal yourself, it's almost always the case that you apply for a project already set out by the supervisor. If you get the place, you then work with your supervisor in your first year to refine and elaborate on the exact plan for your 3/4 years of research.

Maybe double-check with the supervisor/program administrator if you're unsure though.

I do agree with the first two comments that of course you need to have your own ideas and be able to 'run with' the project, but in science PhDs you generally demonstrate that skill once you've started :) Although I guess it will always look good if you have some of your own ideas at the application stage about techniques you'd like to use/areas you're keen to explore. You could bring these up either in your personal statement, or in the interview or discussion with the potential supervisor.

E

And it's not a stupid question! I was also very confused when I started applying for PhDs, as I'd read so much seemingly conflicting information and advice - because of the different approaches required in different subject areas. I was terrified of getting it wrong and runining my chances, though of course it all turned out OK in the end. If in doubt, just ask :)

E

Dear All

Thanks so much for the good advice. As suggested, have emailed the project supervisor to find out what is expected.

Thanks again!! :-)