Present your Movember project at UCL

O

Movember is almost upon us! (For those who don’t know about it, see http://uk.movember.com/ ). It’s really positive sign of the times that many people will be planning a project for Movember, but did you know that the Male Psychology Conference in June 2014 is accepting posters based on Movember projects? In the spirit of Movember, it’s ok if the projects are more fun-based than academic, but note that you will need to make some sort of assessment of your project – qualitative or quantitative – for it to qualify for the conference. Submissions are welcome here http://www.malepsychology.org.uk/

M

It's probably a good cause, but isn’t breast cancer a bigger issue? It causes over 10,000 deaths in the UK each year. Also I don’t see a link between prostate cancer and psychology. But good luck anyway.

P

I will definitely do this! Last year I would of done something but no one told me about it until December!! I read a paper that said some men commit suicide after told the have prostate cancer because cancer and treatment side effects, losing sex life and cant control urination, can be bad. Is this still true the paper was around 2009? It said that despite being the main fatal cancer in men screening and treatment does not have any guidelines!?!

P

Not being funny but sorry Metab definitely more that 10K men also die from prostate caner each year! I saw this on the Cancer Research UK website in Feb or march for my coursework. They said about 11.5K women and 10.5K men die each year. You are right breast cancer is really important but they say screening and tereatment for breast cancer is way ahead of prostate. Both are very important for sure and I wouldn’t want my mum and dad or to have either one I mean it. The survival rate after 5 years is about 80% for both, but a bit worse for prostate. Thats what the Cancer Research UK website said.

H

Quote From metabanalysis:
It's probably a good cause, but isn’t breast cancer a bigger issue?

What a strange response. Why does it have to be a competition? Neither are rare diseases (and even if they were, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be research/awareness campaigns into them).

Regarding the psychology point, there are issues around health-seeking behaviours that are pertinent to cancer diagnosis and survival. e.g. some men are less likely to seek help on detecting symptoms because of anxiety or the perception that they should just carry on and not worry about it. There are lots of ways psychological factors can affect both men and women with regard to making healthy life choices and seeking medical help when needed. Not to mention how people deal with diagnosis and treatment.

M

Yes, there may be some issues around health-seeking behaviours in prostate cancer, but there are probably just as many problems facing women from lower socioeconomic backgrounds seeking help for breast cancer screening.

H

Indeed, socioeconomic factors have an influencial role in determining diagnosis and treatment across a whole host of disease. Still not quite sure why the 'breast cancer is more important than prostate cancer' angle though. They're both important, both at the individual and population level. And breast cancer awareness campaigns have been going for far longer than men's health/cancer campaigns.