Presentation during interview

Z

Ok, so in between eating ridiculous amounts of food and watching boring TV, I've started worrying about my upcoming interview. I'm supposed to give a presentation of my diploma work. I'm only halfway through this project, and haven't had any real results so far. Also, I'm beginning to doubt how useful any results that I might get will be. I like my project since it has allowed me to learn about an area I was rather unfamiliar with before, but from a more objective view I would say my research question isn't that important for humanity... :-)
Do you think this will matter? What are the interviewers looking for during the presentation?

B

Hi Zingo

I suspect they will want to see that you can provide a coherent and clearly structured overview of your research. What you're doing, why, how - processes, progress, relationship to the research question, link to possible future research. Say, a slide for each.

If you're not feeling too good about the results - not to worry - focus on the positive - "it has allowed me to learn about an area I was unfamiliar with before" - the aim of any good pilot study. I would focus on this phrase... what have you learned, how did you learn it, what parts of your project brought these things to your attention, why do you think these things are important, how will you use them in the future? You could include these as a conclusions slide, bullet pointing the benefits of the research as a learning process.