Problem with referees

I

======= Date Modified 06 53 2009 18:53:19 =======
Hi, guys!
I am going to apply for PhD, but I have a little problem with referees. I would like to know if it is obligatory one of the reference letters to be from my supervisor of master thesis? I ask this question, because I am not on good terms with him and it will be difficult to give me a recommendation letter. I am planning to ask two of my teachers at university, who are not completely familiar with my research experience. So, I would like to know what is your opinion?
10x in advance for your help.

L

Quote From Il_Capitano:

======= Date Modified 06 53 2009 18:53:19 =======
Hi, guys!
I am going to apply for PhD, but I have a little problem with referees. I would like to know if it is obligatory one of the reference letters to be from my supervisor of master thesis? I ask this question, because I am not on good terms with him and it will be difficult to give me a recommendation letter. I am planning to ask two of my teachers at university, who are not completely familiar with my research experience. So, I would like to know what is your opinion?
10x in advance for your help.

Usually a reference is from someone that will give you a good reference! so if you're not on good terms with your masters supervisor. then i guess best not to ask him, although i have heard, someone cant give you a bad reference. a reference from teachers at uni should be fine. mostly they will be concerned with your education level and your knowledge and enthusiasm of the project, and less of the references. i dont even think they checked mine out! although i did put my masters supervisor on, but i was on good terms with them.

N

Quote From Lara:

i dont even think they checked mine out!

Why, to be honest I am positive they did not check mine. Or they probably checked one out of the two they asked for. When I got in I went to see my two referees from my old uni to let them know. One had faxed a letter over the day after he'd received their request, and the other (my former MA supervisor) told me she had not even had time to send hers yet.

Just to say, I totally agree with Lara on that one...

Hii Il Capitano,

I had a similar problem when first applying for PhD because the uni I was applying to insisted that one of my three references had to be from my MA institution; I got round it by getting the academic registrar to give me a report based on my academic records, and that worked.

However! As others have said, you may not need a reference from your MA, so unless they've said you do, just go for the people who are going to give you the best reference. Good luck. :-)