Process of application for PhD

S

Hi all!
I have completed my honours degree with 2nd upper recently and am planning to apply for a phd programme since I like research. But looking at the application and funded projects from various institutions, I'm confused. I hope someone can enlighten me in this process.
1. Is it difficult to enter into a phd programme?
2. I have seen certain funded projects which I am interested in but on their website, they have stated to submit a research proposal and then I have to state the title of funded project. Must I submit both research proposal and title of project? Or either one.
3. The thing that I am confused is that if I chose a funded project, will I be working on that project or I have to propose something in relation to that project?

These are my main queries. I am really determined to do a phd. If anyone has anything more to add on, I'd be glad to learn.
Thanks!

T

1. Yes it's fairly difficult to get on to a PhD. You need to have a good BSc at the very least, and quite often experience in the area, possibly an MSc and decent interview skills where you demonstrate that you have the qualities required of a PhD student.

2. Sometimes you have to do both, but you can contact the administration team and ask, because sometimes only an application, CV and a cover letter is required when you are applying for a funded project.

3. If you are accepted for a funded project you will work on that project, but depending on your results you may deviate from the project as you go along.

B

1. It's pretty difficult, yes, but if you're motivated enough you should get to where you want to be. This might involve applying to several universities and it also depends on how willing you are to compromise on the project if you're looking at a funded PhD. I had a 2:1 but then had a Masters to balance it out and depending on the university you apply to they may be looking for someone with a postgraduate degree.

2. It's likely that you'll need to provide both. I applied for 5 different unis and only one didn't require me to write a research proposal as they already had a very rigid proposal in mind already. But definitely check if you're unsure.

3. I got a Studentship and in the original project advertisement it stipulated that the proposed project should be in a particular area, although this was a very broad area which had a lot of scope to make it my own. It will vary between universities and departments. Funded projects tend to be a very fixed area but then you can adapt it to make your own to a certain extent.