Professional Recognition

S

Hi folks,

I'm doing an engineering/energy conversion project and I'm a little frustrated by my perceived lack of recognition from my professional bodies (CIBSE, EI and IEI). Some of them don't acknowledge a doctorate as anything more than a period of postgrad study and couple of days of CPD and the maximum I think I can get from any of them is two years of IPD which would leave me in the roughly the same position as a masters graduate with one years work experience. I can understand the reasoning behind why they do this but it will delay my application for CEng status by about two years.

I know this is a common occurrence for engineers but I am curious to find out if anyone has found a way to squeeze the most of their PhD with their professional body?

Thanks,
V

B

I'm not sure how things work there, but here in Canada, as long as someone is a professional engineer, and you work under them, they can give you some credit for hours worked. I'm doing consulting work with one of my supervisors and he agreed to write a letter saying so. I hear you though, I will (hopefully) graduate when I'm 28 and will have 4 months' professional experience. I need 4 year to be designated.

S

Thanks for the reply.

I've done two consultancy projects so far, well I'm about to finish my second one in a couple of weeks, but I've never heard of anyone getting credit for them. I will definitely be looking into this one.

Thanks again.